Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-21-2016, 06:04 AM

260Ackley: My Son and I both shoot a CZ 527 22 Hornet. And we can not get the 40gr V-Max to work in our magazines. We have tried several different bullets and have found that the 35gr V-Max bullets work just great for us in our CZ 22 Hornets. Accuracy for both rifles using IMR4227 powder and 35gr V-Max bullets is about a 1/2 inch at a 100yds. IMHO shooting past 200yds with a 22 Hornet is really starting to push things. We have had our CZ 22 Hornets for several years now, and like them more every time we use them. Good luck with your rifle.
ken
Old 05-21-2016, 04:19 PM

While shooting into less than 1.2: at 100 meters, I found the 35gr. Vmax to spread out past 175yards, to 2.5" at 200 meters. This was not acceptable to me as the 40gr. Vmax (modified magazine) and the 40gr. HP's all still shot way less than an inch, with the HP's holding onto a 1/2" with little wind.
Another bullet that was very accurate in the CZ's 16: twist, was the 40gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip, even though they noted it wouldn't shoot in that rifle.
With RP brass and LG and the Ballistic Tip 40gr., I killed my longest range Columbia Ground Squirrel, a rather large male and at a laser ranged 454yards. Yeah - lucky - but not for him. Shots with that bullet, the 40gr. Vmax and the HP's were rather easy at 300yards though.

Last edited by Daryl; 05-22-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:13 AM

Daryl: I am just not capable of even trying to modifying any of my CZ 22 Hornet Magazines. And my Son and I would like to try some of the 40 V-Max bullets in our 22 Hornets. But it looks like the only way we are going to get to do this, is by buying one of those Single Shot Calhoon magazines they make for a CZ 527 Hornet. A friend of mine has one for his CZ 527 22 Hornet and really likes it. I just have not bought any of them from Calhoon yet. I need to get this done. The farthest we have shot our 22 Hornets on paper is 100yds, but have shot some Prairie Dogs, Jackrabbits, and a couple of Grounds out past 200yds. I have shot a few Coyotes out past 200yds but I do not try this very often. I still think 200 plus yds is pushing it for a 22 Hornet, any way it is for me.
ken
Old 05-22-2016, 04:20 PM

I used my CZ Lux .22Hornet at the Heritage Day at our rod and gun club.
Two of the kids who shot (new to shooting) I had shooting the little steel plates at 224yards from our benches. The plates measure: 4" tall x 6" wide with the other 6" tall x 4" wide.

The kids father, also a NEW shooter, hit 6 out of 10 off the bipod. His wife, hit 5. The little boy, a 10 year old, smacked the vertical pate 8 out of ten, then his big sister, an 11 year old, hit the vertical plate 10 out of 10.
The load was 14.0gr. LG - RP brass and 40gr. Vmax.

These rifles shoot!

You do not need a single shot follower to shoot single shot, just chamber a round and fire it. My second Luz. worked perfectly like that- I never did get around to putting in a single shot follower. The altered mag held and fed 3, perfectly, but I never used it.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:41 PM

Daryl, PM sent.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:48 PM

Default Update

So I shot the cz 22 hornet American today... what a pleasure that gun is. 3 shots to get sighted in for the new scope then the first test loads three shot group was one ragged hole. The entire diameter of all three shots is no more then a 30 caliber hole. I thought I was missing the target each time. It's so narrow I can't measure center to center but I figure it's under or around a quarter inch. I'm so happy with this gun. I had three sets of test loads. Other then An occasional flyer due to my shooting I had no group worse then .5 inches. This gun is the most accurate I own now.
I used winchester brass, small pistol primer, lilgun at 12 gr and a 34 gr midsouth hollow point with a light crimp.
I couldn't be happier. If Montana doug will post a picture for me I have the target picture if anyone is interested.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10