Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2016, 10:36 PM
Board Sponsor

No plans for exotic material, I've made Tungsten core bullets before and I suspect the only way to alum. would be the same, that is to use powdered metal. I can do it, but you do not want to pay me the time, it is very hard to measure fine powdered metal (think like flour) for each core and work from there.

On the 6T barrels, I'm using J4 jackets and they are pretty thin. I can see what my .22 jackets will draw to in thickness but I suspect it will be about the same. Have you found that the J4's will withstand the 6T? I do not have anything that fast at this time so I cannot test in house.

On the LT bullets, do you want them with an exposed lead tip or simple full core? I have a batch of 26g VLD RBBT that are .620" long and made to completely fill the jacket, The tip is .065". I can make them with an exposed lead tip as well if you want more expansion.

The other option I have for quick dispatch is a solid copper. Punch in, punch out.
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com
Old 05-03-2016, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1911 View Post
No plans for exotic material, I've made Tungsten core bullets before and I suspect the only way to alum. would be the same, that is to use powdered metal. I can do it, but you do not want to pay me the time, it is very hard to measure fine powdered metal (think like flour) for each core and work from there.

On the 6T barrels, I'm using J4 jackets and they are pretty thin. I can see what my .22 jackets will draw to in thickness but I suspect it will be about the same. Have you found that the J4's will withstand the 6T? I do not have anything that fast at this time so I cannot test in house.

On the LT bullets, do you want them with an exposed lead tip or simple full core? I have a batch of 26g VLD RBBT that are .620" long and made to completely fill the jacket, The tip is .065". I can make them with an exposed lead tip as well if you want more expansion.

The other option I have for quick dispatch is a solid copper. Punch in, punch out.
What about a CNC turned plug with the exact dimentions for the finished core? So the svage tools in essense only applies/forms the jacket around the core.

What about a core made of tin?
Lighter and non toxic but still somewhat pliable in the svaging process.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:22 AM

I have a 7T 17BR. Using bergers 37VLD it blows up bullets. I haven't heard anything better from the 6T's either . I spoke with Don Unmussig. He told me that he made some 37's on a 22 jacket and they didn't come apart in flight. If you make them I'll test them.

Aaron
Old 05-04-2016, 12:26 AM

Default 17 cal. bullets

I would like a 20-22 grain hp.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:37 AM

Genco used to put a plastic pellet in the bottom of the jacket before putting the core in, that moved the weight forward in the lighter bullets to aid stability, so I would think a light weight lead tipped bullet with the length of a 25gr would be easy. If you are using the J-4 jackets they will blow up in a 9 twist at top speed out of a 17 Remington, probably why Remington used a 10 twist barrel. Larry
Old 05-04-2016, 12:40 AM

I've shot quite a few berger 30gr HPBT match bullets from my 8.5T 17BR. If I don't clean for a while it'll puff them but if I'm reasonable they make it to the target.

Aaron
Old 05-04-2016, 12:44 AM

Chan Nagel makes his own jackets and I have not been able to blow up one of his bullets out of my 9 twist 17-204, so I guess it can be done but not with the J-4 jackets. Larry
Old 05-04-2016, 04:11 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Ron:
What about using aluminum wire cut to length. IF wire dia. is the right size that seems workable. What's your thoughts on that? Just to satisfy Trotter.
I have no preference as I haven't been shooting much in five years now.
Just a thought is all.

Glad to see you're back at it again. Welcome back!!

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 05-04-2016, 04:36 AM

I have always wondered about aluminum wire, has a hardness of about 150 with lead being about 60, but a very small diameter in a .17 cal so the pressure to swage it would seem to be less than swaging a 30cal. I must just not understand these things. Larry
Old 05-04-2016, 05:33 AM

Would seem to me that to sell any real number of bullets they will have to be something that is not currently made. If not then you will only divide up sales that are already happening. I really don't see any viable market unless you come up with something really different. The low price end of the market is owned by the Dog Town type brands, and Berger seems to have the high end locked down, other boutique makers like Chan Nagle make very good product, but I doubt you could sell a like product for their price and sell more than half of what they do. I would say to go with something really new or just stay home. Larry