Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2016, 11:34 PM

Default OT: Ruana Knives

Was wondering if anyone knew anything about Ruana knives, I was going thru the safe and found 2 knives that a former sister in law gave to me as a wedding present, many, many moons ago. She was living in Montana at the time and had them signed by Rudy Ruana. Forget that even had them, never carried them, just stuck them in the safe. Anybody.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:17 AM
Supporting Member

Try Google....... They have a current web site and their current production knives from Rudy's son and family are excellent knives. I'd provide a link but I'm away from home and on my cell.

The older original knives have kind of a cult following. Rudy traveled throughout the Rocky Mountain area and sold them out of the trunk of his car to keep his business going as late as the 1970's. I own one of the original series B knives that I paid $17 for years ago that I've been offered $400 for by a collector friend. The knife and the original sheath are in excellent condition. Its a Series B knife from markings on the hilt.

Like most collectibles, condition and model/age is paramount to determining value. IIRC, they will provide values from their web site contact page if you tell them what you have in terms of model, etc., and they even buy the older knives back at times. You should be able to determine models, etc., from their web site.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 05-23-2016 at 01:33 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:26 AM

Thanks, BCB. I looked at the models, 10A and 12B. Both are in great shape with patina around the brass rivets on the sheaths.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:40 AM
Supporting Member

Back when, over in Bonner outside a Missoula he'd swap ya a knife for an elk rack.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:44 AM

looks like elk on the handles.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:21 AM
Supporting Member

They are elk antler scales on his knives.

His early knives were not as nice looking/finished as the current models. but the steel is excellent. Mine is a definite keeper to be handed down because of its history. I actually bought it in a gun shop in Newcastle, Wyoming maybe 15 minutes after the shop owner bought it from Rudy. I was in the shop while Rudy was in there. At the time he was just an old man peddling knives from his car. Unfortunately, the gun shop has been closed and gone for years.

I used it one deer/elk season years ago, but it has not been in the field since. Nothing wrong with it....I just liked othe knives I had/have better.........

I found the web site on my cell. The one I have is a Model 10B. Like I said earlier, I was offered $400 for it probably 20 years ago because it was a Rudy built knife. I saw the link to get a value on the site also. No idea what the value for mine +/- might be today.

-BCB

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 05-23-2016 at 02:43 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:57 AM
Supporting Member

I'd love to have one. Went to a show in Charleston and there was a guy from Traveler's Rest SC who had some, but I wanted, yeah one of the smaller ones, a 10 or similar. Still looking.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:49 PM
Supporting Member

I knew I was missing something when I posted last night....

I got home this afternoon and looked at the knife and recognized it immediately. My knife has an M stamped on the bolster which supposedly signifies that Rudy had his hand on it when it was built, IIRC.

-BCB

Old 05-25-2016, 02:03 AM

These both have the M on them and signed by Rudy on the blades.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:28 PM
Supporting Member

Default Ruana knives

I've got a 11A Sticker with the M stamp around here somewhere. Came upon mine at the Dallas Market Hall gunshow probably 15yrs ago. Even then there was a collect-ability that surrounded Rudy's knives. I traded a Rem 870 12ga that someone had rode hard and had a broken stock to a fellow dressed in motorcycle leathers and covered in tattoo's. He wanted to cut the barrel and put a pistol grip on it, me...I was talked into it by my buddies who assured me I was robbing this guy. I wanted 125.00 for the shotgun so I threw a 150.00 price on the knife. Had several tire kickers, several that were familiar with it, and a couple collectors that seemed to know a lot about it, but no buyers at 150.00 with a few low ball 50.00 offers. They placed the date he made it around the late 70's, how I don't have a clue. It's not a show piece like what you see some custom makers turning out. Stag grips that are sorta small, 2 brass pins and large front and rear bolsters. Several years back I caught my wife heading out to the garden with it to do a little gardening She referred to it as "this old thing". Some crazy asking prices on Ebay but most I see run about 2-300 with some selling for bargain prices, usually without a sheath. I imagine that it's all about condition and model and the M stamp usually denotes an earlier knife which means Rudy built. Mine doesn't really hold an edge as well as some of the newer steel's but every serious knife guy would like to have a Ruana in his collection.

Last edited by Chuck Miller; 05-27-2016 at 09:57 PM.