Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-24-2016, 01:24 AM

Default 17 Caliber 20 Grain V-Max Terminal Destruction

Hi,
Planted a square foot garden this year and have been plagued with intruders. First it was the neighborhood dogs. To avoid war, I went with an electric fence. Dog problem ended peacefully.
Next to show up was a cotton tail. He was unfortunately able to come under the electric fence. However he did make the mistake of stepping out of the woods at the back of my yard. He was only 75 yards or so away. I told him he should leave as I went into the house to retrieve the Green Hornet. The Green Hornet is a Custom Contender with laminate Green grip and forearm chambered in 17 Ackley Hornet. My oldest Grandson named it this and claimed it as his upon my demise. It wears a 14 inch Full Bull Bullberry barrel. A Barska 6-20x50MM scope, while not the best optics, does bring the little critters up close for my old eyes.
When I returned with the gun poor Mr. Garden Thief was still present. Again I warned him to leave. I next entered my reloading shop and located the proper repellent for this intruder. Came outside and issued my final warning.
I then placed the crosshair on his eye and slowly squeezed the trigger. At the crack of the shot his body launched two feet into the air and landed in the same spot he was standing. Upon inspection it was noted he was lacking any structure whatsoever in his cranium. A small piece of jawbone and one ear was the only identifiable features.
Needless to say my Square Foot Garden is safe again, at least until the next intruder shows. I have a new 17/222 remington barrel that I haven't shot yet.
Well one can HOPE

I do LOVE these sub calibers

Safe Shooting
Doug
Old 05-24-2016, 11:44 AM
Supporting Member

Doug I believe Gardens were the reason small calibers were created.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:11 PM

Default ?????

Cool short story there, tred1956, but curiosity gets the best of me: WTH is a square foot garden?

Keep smiling!
Old 05-24-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungheap View Post
Cool short story there, tred1956, but curiosity gets the best of me: WTH is a square foot garden?

Keep smiling!
A small one.
Ken.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:33 PM

Default 20 gr V Max

I shot several hundred 20 gr V Max's out of my 17 Mach 4 in the last couple days. They are devastating on prarie puppies. I love the 17 Mach 4 or FB when the wind isn't howling.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:18 PM

So you planted a "garden" and i must ask: Is'nt it illegal to shoot critters on the feeding ground ie. bait them?

Have fun protecting your deer/critter feed ;-)
Old 05-24-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungheap View Post

Keep smiling!
see http://www.squarefootgardening.com/

Burt
Old 05-25-2016, 11:59 AM

Dungheap,
Sorry for the slow reply, just finished a 24 hour shift. But thank you Burt for posting a link to Square foot gardening. I have been doing it for a long time but just got it set up at new home. And yes it is legal protect your property from pest. I believe you can even get a deer permit if you own enough property and can prove they are a nuisance

I did try the non lethal method first but the final method I used is so much more FUN!!!!!

Safe shooting
And Good Gardening (always protect what is yours)
Doug
Old 05-25-2016, 10:12 PM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Kinda looks like my late Grandpa's worm box

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 05-26-2016, 02:21 AM
Supporting Member

Not much on gardening but I am real committed to .17 caliber 20 grain V-Max rat-smackage .
This this 9 or 10 lb rockchuck was about a bit more than a heads worth above the top of a rock facing me from about 185ish yards. That gory hole is an entrance wound from a .17 cal 20 grain V-Max out of a match chambered .17 Fireball at a bit over 4,100FPS, it is an entrance wound and everything inside and all the way back was like jello that didn't set up. Gross picture but like "other Doug ", I am always amazed by the amount of destruction that little pill will deliver. Proving yet again, speed kills! Even lower speed actually as the nifty little .17 Hornet and even smaller prove.

These five were all shot with the same rifle there from 165ish to 250ish yards. These are pretty solid rodents for such a tiny pill to lay out is such dramatic fashion, typically real accurate to. I shoot a lot of em and really like em, rodents, "not so much".

Your gardens safe from these guys too Doug!!