Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-22-2010, 12:42 PM
Supporting Member

Default Case polishing media

I am still back in the dinosaur ages here----I have been using my old Thumlers
Tumbler with walnut shells for ever and it has worked well until the 17 cal. Using a dental pick to loosen up the media inside the cases to remove it is getting old really fast so I am going to update. What works best for you fella's? TIA for any input.

Aaron
Old 10-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Banned

i still use walnut media for my 17 cals. and i haven't noticed any problems. You might look into some new walnut media that is ground a little bit finer.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:59 PM

Try CLR
I have been using this for about 10 years. I soak my cases for 15 to 20 Min and rinse with hot water and let dry for a couple days. If I need the cases quick I put them in the oven on 150° for 1hr to dry the inside of the cases.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Supporting Member

Long Shot
I second what Wirelessguy2005 mentioned about the small cut media in corncob and walnut for the sub cal cases. Small cut media doesn’t get stuck in the flash holes either. Shweeet!
I just purchased a sonic cleaner for getting the inside of my 17AH cases clean, and then I saw this post about stainless steel pin media over at VarmintHunters.com. Even gets the primer pockets clean they claim. Here is their website. -> http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.co...FQgKKgodIXNpKA
Here is the thread -> http://www.varminthunters.com/forum/...ad.php?t=31305
The media itself is a bit pricey at 50 bucks for 5 lbs but it never wears out. But wait there is more (sound familiar), you need a water proof tumbler (vibrator won’t work) and they are asking 179.00 for a heavy duty Thumler’s Tumbler. Anyway if you’re still interested check out the website they have several mpgs that will teach you all about it.

Crowmag
Do you use that stuff full strength or do you dilute it? If you dilute it, by how much?
Thanks in advance…
Larry
Old 10-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Supporting Member

I buy Walnut Litter for a bird cage from PetSmart. Add your favorite polish and your good to go.
Bill
Old 10-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Supporting Member

Default Media

I use a Dillon vibrating cleaner filled with corn cob media and Brasso liquid compound. I don't punch my primers out until they have been cleaned. This way I don't get media stuck in my primer pocket.

BHB
Old 10-22-2010, 10:17 PM

My buddies dad found a new media and formula for cleaning cases on one of the AR forums. They use tiny stainless steel rods and some household cleaning agents. It can only be used in the tumbler type cleaners. The brass looks amazing when he is done, the inside and the primer pockets are as clean as the outside. It looks better than any new brass I have ever seen before. He used the walnut media with both a tumbler and a vibrator before the new method and there is no comparison.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Supporting Member

I would love to try the stainless media, but I have a Dillon vibratory cleaner. I use crushed walnut since its more abrasive than corn cob media. I am not after the final polish that the corn provides and the walnut does a good job. It eliminated me having two kinds of media in the basement and less mess. In my experience, corn media didn't last long enough. If I am after brass that's polished brighter, I leave the brass in for longer periods.
I also use a timer outlet for my tumbler, this way I can choose 2, 4, 6 or 8 hour increments.

Last edited by nycstripes; 10-23-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:20 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I wasn't aware there is a fine cut walnut media, I guess its one of those things of just grabbing the the jug off the shelf and putting it to use withouy ever giving it a second thought. I do have a jug of CLR as our water here contains alot of minerals and I have to take my shower heads and faucet ends apart a couple times a year to clean the mineral scale off of them. I will give it a try. I have the Thumlers Tumbler so if the couple of economy routes listed above don't get me where I want to go I will drop the $50.00 on the stainless media. Appears to do a wonderful job. Thanks again for the input guys.

Aaron
Old 10-23-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpbill56 View Post
I buy Walnut Litter for a bird cage from PetSmart. Add your favorite polish and your good to go.
Bill
I tried the stuff that PetSmart sells.
The batch I got had bits and pieces of Sunflowers seeds in it.
I took it back and returned to buying my reloading supplies from reloading retailers.
I do however, still buy pet food from pet stores.

JME
Charlie