Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 04-14-2012, 01:55 PM

Default K Hornet

I got my Savage 40 .22 Hornet, cheap and have decided to go the K Hornet route. Does anybody have any recomendations on the freebore and neck diameter to spec. my reamer? I am not loking for a hotrod, just want to see how well I can make it shoot, hopefully with the 40 V-max, as all of my Hornets, .222's and .223's love the bullet. Thanks!
Old 04-22-2012, 06:50 PM

I just took the Model 40 apart, and I have found that almost all of what I read on the net about them is b.s. The action has opposing lugs that need lapped. The bolt takes 5 seconds to take the front section off, and like I have done to my Model 93 rimfires, it can be lapped, although the contact is actually 80% or so. I am going to make a fixture to true the front of the bolt, as it looks like when being finished with vibratory finishing that it is somewhat cupped. There is enough threads to set the barrel back around .100, which should work well for a no turn 0 freebore chamber. I will just have to recut the coned breach. There is a little slop in the barreled receiver before you snug the recoil lug, but after turning the barrel in 2 turns, there is virtually no play in the action. Like most factory rifles, it could stand to be pillar bed and skim bed the first 5-6" of the receiver between the pillars. I think this little rifle is going to be fun to see hew well I can get it to shoot.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:31 AM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to larryinIA

You should do a build report, with pictures, like Roy does on his site....I would look forward to that, along with the results when finished. I long to have a lathe of my own.(and the knowledge to run it)

Larry

American King James Version
Let his days be few; and let another take his office
Old 04-23-2012, 02:12 AM

Will do. With the hours I work it won't be a quick build, but I think it could shed a little light on the Savage Model 40.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:47 PM

I ordered the reamer , .003 neck clearance with Remington brass and .000 fb. It should work well with the 30-40 grain bullets.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:31 AM

I have a 22K Hornet on a Ruger #1 and I love it.

The two bullets I use are the 40 gr. V Max and the 30 gr. Calhoon. I use Lil Gun with the V Max and H110 with the Calhoon. Out of everything I have tried, these are the ones I settled in on, so I think you are very much on the right track in your thinking.

I don't know if you hunt turkeys, but if you do the 22 K will give some good performance with a 55 gr. bullet and Lil Gun if you want to use a heavier bullet for that.

I look forward to seeing your project come together, thanks for making it available for us to see.

Charlie
Old 04-29-2012, 01:13 PM

We have to use a shotgun on turkeys