Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Supporting Member

Default New NightForce Reticle!!!

Has any one seen the new Velocity 1000 reticle in the NightForce 5.5-22?

I am ordering it today. It is supposed to be available mid-2011.

This appears to me to be a perfect reticle for us guys that are not real good at twisting knobs.
I have been calling my NF dealer all morning hoping to catch him before he gets busy and I can't get a call through to him.

BHB
Old 06-28-2011, 02:34 PM

The Velocity reticle is actually is 12 different reticles. All have 1 MOA windage marks. All are second focal plane. You do choose the one that matches the drop of your cartridge. The online calculator on the Nightforce web site has been disabled for the last few weeks. Seems people did not understand how to plug in the right variables. There is a calculator at: http://www.buytelescopes.com/Topic/1...-reticles.aspx
I did order one through: www.gseven.com/products/G7-Scope Its reticle is set up for the 7mm Mag. which I did not really care as I was going to dial for elevation. The price looks good there, I get the 1 MOA windage, and my order got in early on a 50mm scope.
I did speak with a rep at night force and he sent me the following email.

AJ

6/7/2011

Thank you for contacting Nightforce Optics.

At this time, we have recently released the 1000 yard Velocity reticles in our NXS 5.5-22 x 56mm optics.

We do have a tentative release schedule for the remainder of the Velocity Series reticles as follows below:

NXS 5.5-22x50mm, begin selling July 2011, ship schedule: to be determined on build time lead schedule at time of sale
NXS 3.5-15x50mm, begin selling August 2011, ship schedule: to be determined on build time lead schedule at time of sale
NXS 3.5-15x56mm, begin selling August 2011, ship schedule: to be determined on build time lead schedule at time of sale

The schedule provided is subject to change at Nightforce Optics discretion.

Please let us know if we can be of additional assistance.

Best regards,

Customer Service 4
Nightforce Optics, Inc
336 Hazen Lane, Orofino, Idaho 83544
(208)476-9814 p (208)476-9817 f
info@nightforceoptics.com
www.nightforceoptics.com

Last edited by AJx; 06-28-2011 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Correction: Sceond Focal Plane
Old 06-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Supporting Member

Default NightForce update

I have a High Velocity reticle in a 2.5-10x32 NXS Compact for my 300RUM.
This new reticle should be perfect varmint reticle. It is not caliber velocity specific.

I got through to my NF dealer. He said NF is currently running 15 to 16 weeks behind.

That hurts but I am willing to wait for that new reticle!!

I ordered 5.5-22x50 with Velocity 1000 reticle. I did not see a need to add Zero Stop Turrets to this scope. The reticle will take care of my holdover.
I also had him get me an 8-32x56 BR model with the NP-R1 reticle. He said it is available but I could only find the NP-R2 in the BR models.

4 months from now I hope I have new glass for coyote time.

I may have to change it to a 56mm if the 50mms are not in current production.

BHB

Last edited by Bighornbob; 06-28-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighornbob View Post
This new reticle should be perfect varmint reticle. It is not caliber velocity specific.

BHB
Bob
As I understand this new reticle is caliber specific.
I would look into this further before I ordered. I would go to: http://www.buytelescopes.com/Topic/1...-reticles.aspx
Check out their calculator so you get the reticle that matches your cartridge drops. The Nightforce rep told me people were having trouble understanding this concept and took their caculator off line for now. ( It may be these caculators are not correct. ) If you go to the Nightforce site you will see their caculator has been disabled. I would call or email Nightforce direct and get the correct reticle the first time. Especially after waiting 15 weeks I would want the correct one.
AJ
Old 06-28-2011, 03:48 PM
Supporting Member

Default Velocity Specific

AJ,

You are absolutely correct. I looked at this reticle on NFs website and it does not indicate it is caliber specific. Maybe I don't know how to read?

I just got off the phone with Mark in customer service at NF. He was very helpful.
I thought it was generic like a Leupold Varmint reticle. Wrong.

Now big decision, which rifle do I order it for?

BHB
Old 06-28-2011, 04:31 PM

Bob
I change rifles and swap scopes around too much to have a caliber specific scope. That's why I went to dialing the elevation. I do like the 1 MOA windage marks as I never dial for wind and just hold. Wind just changes too quickly.

My favorite Nightforce reticle is the NPR-F1. It is a first focal plane reticle, so it is 1 MOA no mater what power you are set on. It has marks every 1 MOA on the verticle and horizontal cross hairs. The only problem is they only offer it in their 3.5-15 power scope. I really want it in the 5.5-22 or the 8-32. No one makes the scope I want. I take that back, I think US Optics does make one with an ERIC knob that is first focal plane and 1MOA horizontal and vertical. Maybe I should buy it also just to make sure.
Dang. This hobby is going to make me go broke.
AJ
Old 06-28-2011, 09:32 PM
Supporting Member

Default That's the Truth

Funny I have the 2.5-10 HV reticle. Guess where. I found it in my scope drawer. Almost forgot about it.
I ordered the NP-R1 and I have the 5.5-22 NP-R2. My main like on the Velocity 1000 is the windage marks for each 100 yds. My NP-R2 I end up holding with no reference point. I guess I should dial in the windage. When shooting PDs as you said the wind blows differently with in the time span it takes to shoot 10 pds.

BHB
Old 06-28-2011, 09:56 PM
Supporting Member

Default Weaver Grand Slam

I bought 3 Weaver Grand slams last night from Natchezss. I really like this scope 6-20x40 with the ballistic plex reticle. $364 on sale!

They are no NightForce but they shine on the smaller rifles.

BHB
Old 06-29-2011, 02:47 PM
Supporting Member

I have the NP-R1 reticles. Each line represents 1". So, you make a chart with inches of drop from your load data..... range your target (groundhog) and use the appropriate line in the reticle from 20x (or is it 15x?) on the 5.5-22's. Thats the same thing as the new velocity reticle is it not?

Stuffing droppings into hornet nests, pushing sleeping turkeys out of trees, peeing on the backs of possums, slinging acorns at deer, and knocking coons from the trees with corn cobs since 1970.