Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Supporting Member

Default Cooper 17MK4

Here's some pics of my Cooper 17MK4 in a Myrtle stock, big difference as to how this baby shoots and my factory 17FB's (2).

Old 11-16-2009, 05:02 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
Here's some pics of my Cooper 17MK4 in a Myrtle stock, big difference as to how this baby shoots and my factory 17FB's (2).

That is one heck of a piece of wood, gorgeous! Looks like a M21 action to and not a M38, correct?

Are your 17FB's also Coopers or are they factory guns without match grade barrels, chambers, etc. ? Just wondering why your 17M4 shoots better than your 17FB's.

Last edited by RebelSquirrel; 11-16-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:08 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
... Starke or FB Bergers.

The boat tails tumble.

Alex

Okay, so.... the FB 30grn pills will stabilize in 1x10 twist barrels and the boat tail golds need the 1x9 twist to stabilize.... correct?

So when Kindler says he recommends a 1x9 twist rate for the 17cals its so "his" bullets (BT's) will stabilize in them and doesn't neccesarily apply to the FB pills? (anyone want to touch this question? its not loaded, don't be afraid, just speak up!) Will the FB bullets stabilize even better then in a 1x9 twist?

I'm getting ready to order a 17FB and also change over my 17REM to a different twist if need be.... looking for all the info I can obtain before I do the wrong thing and then wish I hadn't.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:25 PM

Default 17 cal twist

Reb,

I think you may be right on the edge with a 10 twist - I would play it safe and go with a 9" twist. Some will say that you may give up a little velocity using a 9" twist as compared to a 10" twist but I believe that individual barrel variations will not allow that "fact" to be proven. Why tempt fate? As I see it, there is no practical reason not to use the 9" twist.

Gary
Old 11-16-2009, 06:59 PM
Supporting Member

Default Cooper 17mk4

Your correct, that's a M21 action and not a M38, in fact the stock is a M22, she's a real Mutt. Picked up the stock unfinished from Pat's Sporting Goods off GB, it was labeled a M21 but turned out to be a M22. For $77.00 I wasn't gonna return it so I made it work. My 17FB's are factory Rems, one's a sporter the other a Varrnint. The factory rifles take about 3 times longer to clean and are nowhere near as accurate as the Cooper, I guess no surprise there. If you were to compare this stock to a factory M21 it's about 1" longer from the recoil lug forward. I've decided that any other 17's in my future will be custom barrels, I just don't have real good luck with the factory 17cal tubes.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:48 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in Illinois View Post
Reb,

I think you may be right on the edge with a 10 twist - I would play it safe and go with a 9" twist. Some will say that you may give up a little velocity using a 9" twist as compared to a 10" twist but I believe that individual barrel variations will not allow that "fact" to be proven. Why tempt fate? As I see it, there is no practical reason not to use the 9" twist.

Gary
+1 to what Gary said....

Reb:

No, I do not think that your first statement/question is totally correct.

I have shot 17 caliber rifles for years and have never felt I lost anything by going with a 9" twist barrel. Instead, more importantly from experience, I've always felt I was giving myself a little bit of cushion in bullet choices, especially in larger cased 17's where longer heavier bullets really shine.

As Gary stated, the 10" twist barrel is running on the ragged edge for stabilizing some of the longer, heavier 17 caliber bullets. Why not do yourself a favor....?

If you want to get a 10" twist barrel, do it. Just don't complain and blame TK if some bullets won't shoot well in it... With a 9" twist barrel you'll likely have no problems at all with bullet choices, whether they are TK's or others..... If I was building a new 17 caliber rifle and you offered to give me a new 10" twist barrel, I'd probably say "thanks anyway" and I'd buy myself a 9" twist barrel.

And for the record, I do not shoot TK's bullets, so I'm not trying to sell you anything other than what works best for me from experience. And I think TK would probably do the same if you asked him for his advice....on any subject...

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 11-17-2009, 01:33 AM
Supporting Member

I agree with BCB. I remember when the 25 grain V-Max first came out and a lot of guys with 1 in 10's couldn't get those to work. I go 1 in 10 if 20 grainers are my goal and 1 in 9 if 25's and 30's are in the menu, the 1 in 9 will handle all of em including the 20's.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelSquirrel View Post
Would you all say that a 22" barrel about does it pretty much for max velocity on 17FB/17MIV or does a 24" barrel give significantly more?
Reb,

That depends on powder choice and bullet,but my 26" m700 in 17FB, will fling things mighty quick. I use H4198 and 17gr vmaxes at well over factory 20gr speeds. Using a slightly slower powder it seems as though I can get a lot more than 20 to 30FPS per inch. Max vel is something of a trade off though as you will give up barrel life. Try H4198, you might like it in a 17FB with the lighter bullets, personally I have gone two different routes using the 17VHA, and a 17FB. The 17FB gets the long barrel treatment, and the 17VHA has 2 barrels, one at 16.25", and another at 18.75" for heavy bullets up to 30gr both 1 in 9" tw.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17tbs View Post
Reb,

That depends on powder choice and bullet,but my 26" m700 in 17FB, will fling things mighty quick. I use H4198 and 17gr vmaxes at well over factory 20gr speeds. Using a slightly slower powder it seems as though I can get a lot more than 20 to 30FPS per inch. Max vel is something of a trade off though as you will give up barrel life. Try H4198, you might like it in a 17FB with the lighter bullets, personally I have gone two different routes using the 17VHA, and a 17FB. The 17FB gets the long barrel treatment, and the 17VHA has 2 barrels, one at 16.25", and another at 18.75" for heavy bullets up to 30gr both 1 in 9" tw.
Bit late to the finish line methinks
Ken.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbro View Post
Bit late to the finish line methinks
Ken.
Yah hey, BUT -- it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings (or so they say)