Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-23-2014, 01:04 PM

Default Advised needed for a build.

I'm looking at building a 20 Vartarg. Now I'm deciding weather to use a CZ527 or using a Ruger 77/22, 223 varmint rifle as a donor.
I have been told the CZ527 has no feeding issue's but after market stocks for them here are hard to get. But I do like the Ruger and it's stock but will it feed the Vartarg case.
Cheers
Rossco
Old 04-23-2014, 02:12 PM

Default CZ or Ruger?

Opinions are many, and this one is mine....I'd build it on the CZ and never look back. Of the many 20VT's I'm aware of, many are built on the CZ and shoot very well indeed, but very few if any have been built on the much larger M77 platform. The CZ is just better suited to the smaller cased cartridge IMO.

I own both rifles you're considering, and to me at least, it would be a no-brainer.....CZ! But again, this is just one man's opinion.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:15 PM

The Ruger 77/22 is rimfire action that is modified to accept & use Hornet based cases & pressures. The higher pressures of the 20 Vartarg would require the full size 77 or other brand of centerfire action designed for 55,000 psi, so I'm assuming you have a 77, not a 77/22 if it is already a 223. The CZ is good choice as some of the others can have feeding & ejection issues.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:18 PM
Supporting Member

You only askled about Ruger and CZ. Of those two, CZ hands down, and I would try to get the 221 FB but a 223 will work. Only other thought would be the Browning A bolt or the Zastava/Remington mini mauser. Any of those would work well as would a 700 Rem that was orignally a 221FB or a Sako L461. If you want to be able to just spin on your own barrel and get a new bolt head and mag block, get a savage 223 short action blind mag model and order the bolt head and mag block from Sharp Shooter Supply.

Not sure giving you this many options is really all that helpful but it might make it way eaier to buy a less expensive donor.

Final thought, unless you go the Savage route, by the time you spend the money to do this build, unless you can do the work on the CZ yourself, you may want to consider getting a Copper in 20 VT. It will work out to very close to the same price. Hows that for purchase mentoring Ruger to Cooper in three fast steps. ;-)
Old 04-23-2014, 06:42 PM

I had Bob Green build my 20 VT on a CZ527 .223 Varmint Kevlar and it feeds fine. I really like that stock as it shoots a little better off the bench than their walnut stocks. I was recently sent an email from Boyds showing they are now offering three styles of stocks for the CZ and some custom features available too. Bill
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/produc...04563&cat=1222
Old 04-23-2014, 08:49 PM

CZ527 , lovelly action.

A
Old 04-24-2014, 12:52 PM

Sounds like the CZ is the way to go. Finding a Rem that was factory made to suit the Fireball over here is as rare as rocking horse s##t. The other option which some times pops up is Sako L61's in fireball.
I also have been advised that some Rem's can have feeding issues and some not it depends on the action at the time.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:52 PM

Might want to look at the classifieds as there is a barreled 527 action for sale.
Not mine.. just passing the option along.

John
Old 04-25-2014, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrdhgKiller View Post
I had Bob Green build my 20 VT on a CZ527 .223 Varmint Kevlar and it feeds fine. I really like that stock as it shoots a little better off the bench than their walnut stocks. I was recently sent an email from Boyds showing they are now offering three styles of stocks for the CZ and some custom features available too. Bill
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/produc...04563&cat=1222

The problem with Boyds is that anything over $100 they will not ship to Australia
Old 04-25-2014, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
Might want to look at the classifieds as there is a barreled 527 action for sale.
Not mine.. just passing the option along.

John
Hi John
Its a bit hard as I'm in Australia. The hassle of importing it in is a pain in the ass.
Cheers
Rossco