Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-19-2012, 02:45 AM
Administrator

Default Think...

... your thinking is correct!

Alex
Old 04-12-2013, 01:44 PM
Supporting Member

IMO, if the graphite solved your problem, you are creating a friction problem in the neck, probably from annealing, as was mentioned before. I experienced something like this years ago when I 1st started annealing, thought something had gone wrong with my sizer die it was so bad. If you are oxidizing the inside of the necks enough to cause this problem, you may be getting them a bit too hot. I cleaned mine out with a new bronze brush on a drill motor. That will usually take the oxide out down to bare metal again. Also, if you are going to use the dry neck lube for seating bullets, be sure to use it on all the brass for better consistency. Let us know how this evolves; I don't think it is a real unusual problem.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold M View Post
I ran into the problem again ... Thought I'd post and see if anyone had similar experience.

The symptom is a ring pressed into the ogive just below the plastic tip, where the seating stem contacts the bullet. I thought I had it licked, but ...

Last week I was seating 39 gr. Sierra BK bullets in annealed Remington cases made from 221 FB I had resized a couple of years back. I neglected to record how I'd resized these particular cases, but I THINK it was with the 0.227 bushing in the Redding die (which has an expander button). I use a Wilson seating die, and have broken the edge of the stem cavity with a boring tool; this I thought was going to prevent the problem. Oh, well.

By the way - same seating die, same bullet -- no problem with LC cases with 0.013 necks and the 0.229 bushing. No problem with Berger bullets and Lapua cases also turned to 0.013 thk.

Harold
How does it shoot?

My .20 VarTarg ammo uses cases formed from Remington .221 Fireball brass and annealed, a Redding 3-die neck-bushing set with a 0.227-inch bushing, and Sierra 32gr. Blitz King bullets. I also use Imperial dry neck lube, the graphite powder in a small plastic container full of little plastic balls. I get the same ring on the bullets and my 5-shot groups are in the 3s.

Since you have a 0.228-inch bushing, you could try that one. Personally, I'm so happy with the accuracy of my rifle I could wet myself, so I don't care about the ring around the bullets.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:16 AM

Quote:
I ran into the problem again ... Thought I'd post and see if anyone had similar experience.

The symptom is a ring pressed into the ogive just below the plastic tip, where the seating stem contacts the bullet. I thought I had it licked, but ...

Last week I was seating 39 gr. Sierra BK bullets in annealed Remington cases made from 221 FB I had resized a couple of years back. I neglected to record how I'd resized these particular cases, but I THINK it was with the 0.227 bushing in the Redding die (which has an expander button). I use a Wilson seating die, and have broken the edge of the stem cavity with a boring tool; this I thought was going to prevent the problem. Oh, well.

By the way - same seating die, same bullet -- no problem with LC cases with 0.013 necks and the 0.229 bushing. No problem with Berger bullets and Lapua cases also turned to 0.013 thk.

Harold
Hi Harold,

Did you mic the Sierra bullets? You probably have a tolerance stack going on. I had the same problem once with my Wilson seater and the rings on the bullets.

Listen to this...what a mess I had going on!

A few years ago I switched from 115 Bergers to 115 DTACS in my 6x47L. The DTACS were slightly thicker, can't remember exactly, maybe .0002-3 difference.

Also I started cleaning with the SS media method, making the insides of the necks super clean and causing a burr on the lip of the neck. This increased neck tension too.

Also I had another thing happen to me simultaneously. The neck portion of my Wilson seater was reamed so close to my brass's neck thickness with a bullet seated that when the new thicker "DTACS" entered the neck of the case while in the die, I could feel waaaay more tension than I was expecting. The new bullet + the burr on the inside and outside of the lip of the neck = won't fit in the frickken die anymore, LOL. It took me a while to figure all this out, boy was I scratching my head

I ended up turning off .001 more on the necks, chamfering and using NECO. All was fine again.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:53 PM

I'm with Dittohead on this one. How's it shoot????? That little ring doesn't mean didley squat if it doesn't affect accuracy. Sometimes we worry about stuff that is irrelevant & spend a whole bunch of time & effort for nothing. I ask again, HOW DOES IT SHOOT? That's all that really matters. Cosmetics are meaningless!! I've got loads that show that mark & they shoot bug holes. I would rather spend my time shooting them than worrying about it. If they don't shoot well then polish your seater stem & eliminate the sharp edge where it makes contact with the ogive & they will "look" right, but not necessarily shoot any better. Changing bullet tension may affect your accuracy more than the "ring". Just passing on my experiences.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:18 AM

Quote:
See 19 above.
If you are able to shoot sub-caliber groups most would say "what problem?" It's been a long winter for all of us, time to go shoot!!!! You're gonna love that VT!
Old 04-25-2014, 05:25 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Don't see where I replied to this one. If I did forgive me.

had the same thing happening with the first .17's I loaded.
Ended up just using a countersink to ream the sharp edge
off the stem. Cleaned that up slick.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 04-25-2014, 07:35 PM

I've had this same problem before as well. The culprit was too much neck tension, I was using a .226 bushing with necked down Remington .221 Fireball brass.

I switched over to a .228 bushing and also got one of Brad's (Custom Reloading Tools) neck chamfering tools. Solved my issues.

I use the above mentioned neck chamfering tool followed by 0000 steel wool on the inside of the neck and it works great.