Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-17-2012, 08:53 PM
Supporting Member

Leupold has been very generous in donating one of their rifle scopes to Saubier.com.

Thank you Leupold!!!

Here are my two entries in the contest:

This first photo shows one of my Savage 12VLP rifles in .204 Ruger. It has a 25" super match grade stainless steel 1 in 11 twist three groove Pac-Nor barrel chambered and installed by Kevin Weaver. The scope is a silver Leupold VXIII 6.5-20x40mm Long Range model with the fine duplex reticle. The scope is mounted on an EGW rail and sits in Burris Signature Zee rings. The scope has the Leupold Alumina® flip-back lens covers both front and rear and also has the objective lens shade installed.

The photo was taken in a prairie dog town in Western North Dakota on May 15, 2010. This rifle shoots both the 39 gr. Sierra BlitzKings and the 40 gr. Hornady V-Max very accurately. I was using the 40 gr. V-Max in WW .204 Ruger brass, Remington 7½ primers and H4895 powder during this shoot. The white dots on the top of the barrel are Velcro hook patches used to keep my mirage shield on the barrel.

This second photo shows one of my .17 Remingtons which is chambered with a .1945" tight neck with .010" of freebore. The barrel is a 26" stainless steel 1 in 9 twist three groove super match grade Pac-Nor. The barrel is fitted to a Remington 700 ADL action that I converted so it utilizes the hinged floor plate and magazine just like the BDL actions. It is sitting in a skim bedded H-S Precision aluminum pillar bedded stock that I camo painted myself. It has a Jewell HVR trigger with a top safety and is adjusted to 1 pound of pull. The trigger is fitted with a Tumbleweeds Custom Rifles aluminum trigger shoe made by Mark Pharr out of Round Rock, TX.

The scope is a matte black Leupold VXIII 6.5-20x40mm Long Range model with the fine duplex reticle. The scope is mounted on matte black Warne 2-piece Rem 700 bases and sits in Burris Signature Zee rings. The scope has the Leupold Alumina® flip-back lens cover on the rear and also has the objective lens shade installed.

The photo below was taken on June 12, 2009, on a private ranch in Western North Dakota. I use 27.8 gr. BTHP Hammett bullets in this rifle using neck turned .17 Remington brass. The casings have a load of VVN-540 powder that is touched off with Remington 7½ primers. My mirage shield is sitting on the barrel in this photo. The prairie dog posing in this photo has extremely dark brown fur on its back.

NRA Life Member
Old 02-20-2012, 08:33 PM

Default 20VT Rat Rifle

Okay, I'll play too.

This is a shot taken near my place here in central Oregon that has a rock chuck problem. The little 20VT is perfect for semi-settled areas, and is deadly on our sage rats or chucks out to as far as I can see 'em.

Rifle is a Cooper M38 VR in 20VT, scope is a VX3 6.5-20X LR with VHR and M1 elevation turret.

Some members here may recognize the rifle only, as it was previously owned by our dear friend Scootertrash. I think he'd be proud.

This one was taken on a nice sunny peaceful day "at the lake" shooting squirrels in northern CA....the Warner Mountains are in the background. Rifle is my Sako M75 Varmint in 204 Ruger, scope is a VX3 6.5-20X LR with M1 elevation turret and VHR.

Thank you Leupold for sponsoring this event on Saubier!

Last edited by Rick in Oregon; 02-20-2012 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Add-A-Pic
Old 02-21-2012, 01:05 AM
Supporting Member

Cooper M38 Phoenix in 17AH. Scope is a Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x40mm.

Cooper M21 Phoenix in .223, barrel wrapped in Christensen Arms carbon fiber. Scope is a Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x40mm with red spash anodize from the Leupold Custom Shop.

Stuffing droppings into hornet nests, pushing sleeping turkeys out of trees, peeing on the backs of possums, slinging acorns at deer, and knocking coons from the trees with corn cobs since 1970.

Last edited by RebelSquirrel; 02-21-2012 at 01:17 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:45 PM

What the heck--here's a couple--

Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x LR/VH reticle with elevation turret only. Savage Striker 243 WSSM/8T Broughton/115-117 grainers at ~2550 mv. These Big Eyes were used to spot many coyotes from this "perch," if you will, for stalking mostly--

435-yd. coyote taken with a Leup. Mk 4 6.5-20x with Darrell Holland's HUMR reticle on top of a 6.5 WSM XP-100/Shilen 8T/H-S Precision/140 A-Max at 2750. This gun won the 500-yd. leg of the 2008 MOA LR Handgun Shoot in Sundance, WY (by just a hair)-- www.moaguns.com

Last edited by sshcoyote; 02-23-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:44 AM
Supporting Member

Thanks to Leupold and Saubier for sponsoring the scope giveaway!

This feral hog kill was a result of going out for a walk in search of crows, but having a pair of piggies cruise out of the woods, about 75 yds distant. When your rifle of choice that day is a Cooper Mod 21 in 17MIV (22gr Berger Match over AA2200DP), well you use what you have. Scope is a Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14. The little pill did a good job, and this hog was converted to some great BBQ and steaks.

This view is from a treestand on a water pipeline, central TX post oak woods, early enough in the fall where the foliage is still green. This stand (nearly 30 yrs old) has been the source of many whitetail bucks, including my son's first (very nice 8-point). Another 300+yd view is 180deg around.

Rifle and scope is a Winchester Mod 70 FW in 7mm-08 / Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x50.

Thanks again,
Greg

Last edited by Mulerider; 02-24-2012 at 11:47 AM. Reason: reduced pic size
Old 02-24-2012, 03:47 PM

RATS. I have to already have a Leupy to win one, eh?

No such luck here
Old 02-26-2012, 02:31 PM

Here are my two entries;

First photo is my son Drew on a Prairie Dog shoot last year in Arapahoe, NE. He is shooting my Savage LRPV Dual Port in 6MM Norma BR topped with a Leupold VX3 LRT 6.5-20X50mm e/w a Leupold sunshade with Richard Near base and rings.

Second Photo is my son Anthony on a Prairie Dog shoot two years ago in Arapahoe, NE. He is shooting my Ruger #1V in .204 Ruger topped with another Leupold VX3 LRT 6.5-20X50mm with Ruger rings and bases.

This year will be our third year going on this trip with my three sons and we bring a nice little arsenal with us consisting of 7 different rifles in 6 different calibers. With three boys to outfit I could always use another Leupold scope

CZ 527 Varmint - 17 Remington - Leupold VX2scope
CZ 527 Varmint - 204 Ruger - Leupold VX2 scope
Cooper 38 - 17 Fireball - Leupold VXL scope
Cooper 57M - 17HMR - Leupold VX3 scope
Savage LRPV - 6MM BR - Leupold VX3 scope
Sabre Defence SPR AR15 - 5.56 - Leupold MK4 scope
Noveske Rifleworks Custom AR15 - 204 Ruger - Leupold MK4 Custom Shop scope
Old 02-29-2012, 06:27 PM

This is from a prairie dog shoot in Montana. This is a Leupold VXIII with a varmint hunter reticle. You can see the truck in the background, which is where we shot from. The Leupold scope came through on this shot.

[IMG]//[/IMG]

Last edited by Sidewinder; 02-29-2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: more information
Old 02-29-2012, 06:59 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to SShooterZ

This thread is giving me "gun envy".
Old 02-29-2012, 09:32 PM