Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-18-2014, 07:17 PM
Supporting Member

Default Any machinists out there?

I purchased a CZ-527 Varmint in 17HH about a month ago. No ammo or dies (at the time), so decided to pillar-bed rifle. I’ll attempt to make a long story short… Pillar bedded rifle early yesterday with Devcon Steel Bed and all looked really great this AM when I removed it from its overnight curing. Cleaned her up assembled her and all was well and wonderful with the world, until I ran some ammo thru it via the magazine.

It seems I have cut the stainless steel pillars a tad too long because the trigger guard now does not bottom out in the recess designed for it in the action. I’m looking at maybe 1/10th inch at most but it is enough that bolt won’t pick up the cartridge but over rides it. It is such a slight amount that if I hold/push mag into action bolt will pick up and feed cartridge.

The stainless steel pillars to stand about 1/10th of an inch proud on bottom of stock so I’m looking for a way to shorten them up and I should be good to go. I’ve been trying to grind away at them with a dremel and a carbide burr but it is an ungainly way to do it at best. Burr will catch and throw itself into side of stock and mar it. Already have a couple of minor repairs I need to do now.

I do have a full size drill press and I did end up chucking bur into it and it helped but still rather clumsy.
Can I purchase something like an end mill bit that cuts a flat bottom and use that to trim pillars down? Whatever I use it will have to be able to cut Stainless Steel. Any suggestions?

TIA, Larry
Old 04-18-2014, 07:31 PM

I used a cartridge case trimmer with a pilot to do the same job. The proper tool is a piloted facing tool. Larry
Old 04-18-2014, 07:40 PM

An end mill will do it, as well. Make sure your stock is nice and square to the bit on the drill press.

On Edit: If your press has a threaded depth stop, you can run a nut on the underside and use a wrench for controlled feed on depth.

Last edited by ramos; 04-18-2014 at 07:43 PM. Reason: add
Old 04-18-2014, 09:58 PM
Supporting Member

Don't be surprised if the heat generated by cutting them down doesn't loosen your pillars. Did you test fit them before bedding??
Old 04-18-2014, 10:06 PM

Good point, Ray. If the pillars are the correct over-all length, you may want to heat the pillars and compound with a heat gun and then push them up until the bottoms are flush with the stock. Just thinking out loud here..
Old 04-19-2014, 12:41 AM
Supporting Member

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3

You really need the pilot to keep from a accident. Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:07 AM
Supporting Member

Default if you want to

mail the stock over to me , i will do it on my mill,,,, free of course.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:56 AM

Your a good man, Junk Man
Aric
Old 04-19-2014, 01:43 PM
Supporting Member

Junk Man: Did not expect that! That is extremely generous of you and I thank you oh so much for your generosity but I feel if I don’t do it myself then I won’t learn anything. Bad lessons are just as telling as good lessons. I was getting pretty cocky about my ability to pillar bed Remingtons so this was a good lesson in humility for me. Ha!

Larry thanks for tip on the piloted facing tool. That sounds like what I need. Now I can peruse the internet for the proper size to buy. I would really like to buy a set of different sizes for future use as I have had need for such a tool in the past. Unfortunately they seem extremely expensive. In this case I used stainless steel tubing for the pillars so the cutting tool must be able to handle SS.

Ramos, not sure what and end mill is but I will by time I finish my searches. For some reason when you guys talked machining tuff I always figured an “End Mill” was a very expensive routing type machine. Shows ya what I know…

Ray to answer your question Yes, I did check my measurements but obviously I didn’t check all of them. This being my first CZ I didn’t know all the ends & outs of bedding a CZ action. I test fitted that sucker every which way in the stock. I must have had it in & out of the wood a thousand times. Now I know I also need to test fit pillars to action without the wood getting in way of seeing how the bottom metal fits to the top metal (action). My bad, but I guess that is a lesson for me.

However I feel really fortunate to have you guys to fall back on for info and help when the ‘ole proverbial feces hit the rotating oscillator. I thank you all for your advice & help.

Now on to search for the right tool size. When I find something I’ll post it here again to be sure its what I need.

Thanks again fellas… Larry

P.S. Also thanks for the tip on the heat build up on the pillars Ray. I probably wouldn't have thought of that on my own. That is until the pillar fell out the bottom.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:13 PM
Supporting Member

Default another thought

if you have a drill press, i could mail you a 1/2 inch end mill.turn your stock upside down and get it level, then chuck the end mill up in your drill press and push it straight down on your pillar, it will cut it very easily. just cut until it is flat with the wood and mail it back. thanks