Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-22-2014, 03:20 PM
Supporting Member

Thumbs up

This sight and the gun nuts (eh-hem: excuse me “Gun Enthusiasts”) that frequent here are awesome. I could not ask for a more supportive bunch of guys. I appreciate all of you-all’s offers greatly… Here is what I’ve done so far…

Yesterday I ordered a ½” end mill similar to the one junk man recommended except it is single ended not double ended. Then I went to Harbor Freight and picked up a rather large (to me) cast iron milling vise. That should hold the stock so as not to drag it and cut where I don’t want it to, I hope…

I need to figure a way to secure it to my Drill Presses table. Always wanted a vise like that, it should come in handy for other projects as well.

This is new stuff to me and I love getting into something new. Anyways I’ll let you all know how it turns out in the end.

Thanks again, Larry
Old 04-24-2014, 02:29 PM
Supporting Member

Default Just a quick note that I “got-er done”.

While I was penning the last post UPS was delivering my end mill I ordered the day before from MSC Industrial Supply Co. Ordered it on the 21st and received it at 10:11am on the 22nd. They had an offer for a free Overnight Delivery upgrade for 1st time buyers and I took advantage of it. I've purchased that service from other companies and it always took at least two usually three days for “overnight service” to arrive. Never could figure out why they call it “overnight service”.

Anyways…

Took stock and new end mill to garage. Mounted stock in the vice and used a drill bit chucked in drill press that just fit the hole of the pillar to align pillar and drill press and locked it down snug vice.
It took some fidgeting to get it all lined up and then had to do it all over again for the other pillar. In the end the end mill came down nice and flat on top of pillars and was able to get pillar height even with original wood and now trigger guard/mag well now fits in its action recess. (Ray: Went super slow so as to not heat pillars)

Since I never had any ammo for this rifle prior to my bedding I’ve no way of knowing how this thing fed cartridges to begin with. All I can say is it does feed each round now but not as smooth as my rimless cartridges which I assume is to be expected. Maybe it will smooth out with some use.

Thanks to Yous Guys all ended well...
Larry
Old 04-24-2014, 02:51 PM
Supporting Member

Congratulations Larry, it's makes you good to be able to do these kind of things yourself. Get yourself one of MSC big catalogs, not much you can't find in there when it comes to metal working tools.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:09 PM
Supporting Member

Default trouble is

once you do a small job, next thing you know you own a bridgeport and a lathe and a cut off saw , then a surface grinder plus an array of bits and mills, it is almost as bad as reloading and shooting. glad you fixed it.