Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2014, 06:57 PM

Default Is it just me who refuses to buy a Cooper because......

because....... it is a single shot?

Yes, I see this fanatical following of folks that own a beautiful and wonderfully accurate Cooper rifle or two, or twelve. But I can't help but wonder if there are just as many folks out there who can't bring themselves to buy a rifle which is a single shot. While I invariably prefer to hand feed each round individually into the chamber of my custom smithed Rem 700's, isn't the repeater option a nice feature to have, as well as to be able to offer when selling your rifle too? Like Dan Cooper's $3,300 donation to Obama's election, a $1,500 single shot bolt action in 2014 seems of really poor marketing and just plum illogical.

For that matter, do you mind that your CZ 527 is a repeater and wish that it had been engineered as a single shot?

EDIT; Please see post #60 for my final word on the matter.

Last edited by Centerfire; 04-24-2014 at 05:28 AM. Reason: My name calling of the rifle was edited out/omitted on 4-22-14. Unnecessary in making my point.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:25 PM

Single shot is where it's at in my book for many varmints and target shooting. No mag to deal with regarding cartridge length and a much stronger action are a few attributes I enjoy. But they do make Cooper's that are repeaters but by your post, you do not know that. As far as Dan's contribution to Obama - pretty old news and he is long gone... Dan drinking the Kool-Aid is not my problem. If the marketing is "retarded" as you say, then how come it takes 6 months plus to order a new Cooper? I guess there are lots of us out in the shooting world that are "plum illogical".
Old 04-19-2014, 07:29 PM

They do make repeaters. Given the success of the company, I think they know their niche and seem to do well marketing for it.

I think it is just you.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:32 PM

Default Cooper

They actually make a repeater in all caliber's, the Model 21 and 22 are the only single shot's. Here is a fine example of the 51.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=410490304

You said it yourself you prefer to hand feed, and if you buy a Cooper you more than likely won't want to sell it, and if you do they are not hard to get rid of, just post it on the board for a fair price and it will be gone.

I think Dan Cooper is long gone, either you can get over that or you can't, i won't hold it against you either way. I personally wouldn't piss on the current bunch of libtards we have running our country if they where on fire. But that's not going to stop me from buying more cooper's and holding a decade long grudge against someone who is no longer involved with the company.

I just picked up a nice little CZ 527 in 204 for my brother, strangely enough the first thing he did was find a single shot follower for it. I would bet if he had the coin he would have bought a Cooper 21 Classic instead of the CZ.

I personally sold most all of my Remington 700's to buy more Cooper's, and am waiting for my brother to come up with the money to buy my last one because he want's it.

Give one a try, you may or may not like it

Be careful though, you might get the bug.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:34 PM

I believe that they offer 4 repeater models.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:57 PM
Supporting Member

My best friend uses magazine fed rifles and when we are shooting p-dogs, I have no trouble keeping up with his magazine fed rifles with my Cooper and Dakota single shots.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:15 PM

Must be doing something wrong then. I have a few CZ's, one Remington and one savage and one cooper However I load only one round at a time on all my rifles.
That's the way I do it. Seems to always work out for me.

I do confess. with my Remington 522. .22 long rifle. I load up the tube each time.

I do like the cooper and CZ's a lot. Wouldn't mind ending up with some more. The others only seem ok to my likings.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:10 PM
Supporting Member

A CZ 527 IMP Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:12 PM
Supporting Member

Not only do I like Coopers but I buy James Calhoon's single shot followers for my CZ's . I like single shots a lot! I predominantly shoot colony varmints and I find it a bigger hassle loading magazines than I do just throwing a round in the trough. I do wish CZ would make a single shot, I'd buy one in a heartbeat .
Old 04-19-2014, 09:20 PM

Default follower

not to get off topic, how do you like James follower, my brother just got a cheap plastic one, seems to work well