Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2014, 01:22 PM
Supporting Member

Default OT Bear in the Hen House.

This is NJ. Central NJ. Woke this morning to a yard full of Chicken feathers. I look and see a Big Bear climbing in the window to my Coop. SOB killed half my Chickens. I called F&G no answer. Called PD they said stay in the house. Umm OK. I loaded up the 870 with some 3in 00 and headed out lol. Told the Bear you got 2 options and your not gonna like option 2. He left.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:38 PM

Default OT..Bear in the Hen House

Not bad photo's... Like always you must handle your own situations. Government is usually not much help. Bill K
Old 04-24-2014, 01:40 PM
Supporting Member

He'll be back since he has the combination now for a free meal. You can probably thank you friendly Game Commission for the bears. For 60 years we never had bears and all of a sudden , up and down down the front slope our mountains , dozens of people had bear problems, I guess our worthless Game Commission moved the problem bears they trapped from Western Md to the East in hope of "controlling the deer".
Old 04-24-2014, 01:42 PM
Supporting Member

This part of the world, option two was the automatic answer. Bear on private property is like a prairie dog. No license required and there is no closed season. Good pictures and I admire your ability to let him walk after wiping out 1/2 your flock. Hope that isn't the income you have to live on.

Last edited by Dean2; 04-24-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
This part of the world, option two was the automatic answer. Bear on private property is like a prairie dog. No license, no season. Good pictures and I admire your ability to let him walk after wiping out 1/2 your flock. Hope that isn't the income you have to live on.
I agree... He'll be back shortly. Had a raid on our coop last summer, but a snare out for the following evening. Smile when you see the flash.

I'd pick up some butcher paper on your next trip to town as bear can be good eating if properly butchered.

John
Old 04-24-2014, 03:00 PM

This is one of those times when being a bowhunter really helps. Next time he comes back, he'll learn a lesson , no noise and if you hit him just right he'll run 50yds back into the timber where he's out of sight, but you can quarter him at your leisure.

Cool pics, we don't have any bear problems here on the prairie, but the dam hawks!! I can recognize my roosters alarm call and I swear he comes running to the shop if I'm around, he seems to know that " long loud stick" works better than for him to have to fight every hawk that tries to snatch one of his ladies..
Old 04-24-2014, 03:02 PM
Supporting Member

Yeah and I'd switch out that 3in 00 for at least a heavy slug load. Or better yet a 35 Whelen...
Old 04-24-2014, 03:16 PM

I agree with the others. Better take a nap this afternoon, bet you will be getting up early Friday morning. We had the same situation last Summer with a badger. I think it was the second morning but could have been the third one when we put a permanent stop to his raiding. Way easier to dispose of than a bear carcass, though. Best of luck to you and your remaining layers.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:25 PM
Supporting Member

Default Question...

Can't you shoot a problem critter, especially one that you know will keep returning? Are they protected even when they are damaging your property? In Texas that would be a dead bear.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:46 PM

Bears have been a big problem up here in Northern NJ. Didn't know you had them down in Central NJ. Nothing like fresh eggs. I have a guy in the office that lives up by Greenwood Lake, which is bear country. He has a coop with 4 chickens just for eggs. He gave me a dozen a while back and they were good. Back yard chickens are starting to get popular around here. Just have to check with the town to see if they allow it.