Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-09-2009, 04:16 PM

Default 221 with heavy bullets....

I have been really happy with the performance of the 60 grain V-max in my CZ 527 221 Fireball and was wondering if a re-barrel with faster twist and more free-bore to shoot 75 A-maxes would be worth it. This would be a second rifle project. Anyone have experience with the 221 and heavy bullets? Seems the cartridge would be similar sizewize to a 256 MAG. Bullet ballistics favor the 224 75 A-max over the 257 75 V-max,
but I wonder how bullet expansion would be at these velocities (2300-2500fps). Just thinking...But would like to hear others' thoughts.
Thanks,
Bill
Old 09-09-2009, 05:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

the amax is a target bullet not a hunting bullet, especially at those velocities, there is no hollow cavity behind the polytip, it would more than likely just punch holes in whatever critter you shoot with it.
the 75 gr amax bullet has been used sucessfully on deer sized game from a 22 tth or 22-6mm but at much higher velocities.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:30 PM

Default 221 & Heavy bullets..

Thanks Foxhunter. I did not know the difference between A- & V-max construction. I read in Hornady's Reloading Manual the the Interbond bullets are supposed to expand very well, even at lower velocities, but never knew the distinction of A- & V-max's. Hornady's 75 HP (224) would be a better choice, than the A-max for "critter" shooting. I wonder how happy 256 MAG shooters are with the bullet selection usable in that cartridge?
Overall, the selection of bullets seems better in the 224 than 257, at least those usable in the 256 MAG and corresponding 221 FB (set up with proper chamber & twist) when comparing these two cases.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:52 AM
Supporting Member

No experience and not sure what twist you have but I have looked into the 75s from a 223 9 twist... was told that a 75 gr HP will stabilize around 3K fps and the longer 75 AM would probably not.

if it’s a factory pencil barrel I am surprised (but happy) that you got the 60s to shoot
Old 09-10-2009, 01:44 AM

GL,
I have a CZ527 Varmint HS with a 1/9 twist and it shoots the 75 a-max very accurately. The 221 is a factory CZ 527 American with a 1/12 twist and I just could not believe the performance I got when first tried the 60 V-max. 40 V-max makes a "whaaap" sound and the 60's make a "WHOP" sound upon meeting a prairie dog. Quite a distinctive difference in sound. Terminal "show"
on is on an upper-level above the 40's, also.
Sounds like going to the trouble to get heavier (than 60's) bullets to shoot well sith the 221 FB may not be worth it. I really thought someone on this site may have already tied this and could relate their experiences.
Thanks for the responses.
Bill
Old 09-10-2009, 02:33 AM

I think you will burn a lot of case capacity just seating the bullet, might work, it would be strange looking I think. Larry