Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-09-2009, 03:59 AM

Default 17AH Draws First & Second Blood-Video

I went out today with my brother to do some groundhog hunting. I had loaded some rounds the night before with WS2 since the barrel is probably broke in at this point. The first thing we did was to go to the rifle range to get my gun zeroed for 200 yards and to chronograph some rounds. Its funny when I usually treat bullets with WS2 the velocity will go down 50 to 100 fps. My bare bullet rounds before were averaging 3554 fps and now with the WS2 they are going faster at 3623 fps. I am not complaining as the fired rounds are looking good.

My first impressions in the field with the CZ 527 is that it is a light, compact rifle that is easy to carry. The recoil is light but not too far from my 17RFB and the noise factor is down around 30% from the 17RFB. The video speaks for itself so enjoy.

http://s558.photobucket.com/albums/s...odPhotoBkt.flv

http://s558.photobucket.com/albums/s...AHPhotoBkt.flv
Old 09-09-2009, 04:18 AM
Supporting Member

Very nice, that area up there in Maryland is beautiful.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:53 AM

Default Hunt

Nice hunt and some good shooting, I was out last night I saw about 5 chucks I missed one and got 2 the one weighed about 13 lbs. I think they are fattening up for winter. Did either of the the chucks have exit wounds?
Old 09-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Supporting Member

Way to go Bill, I'd say you're ready for the PD's in Nebr. Darn, might not be many left for ole GW and Rem to shoot next year.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks for sharing Bill, Good Video and great shooting.....Makes me want to head back out to Ohio lookin g/hogs....George
Old 09-09-2009, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Default Good show!

What were the ranges on those shots. Really fun to get blood on a gun so soon after getting it shooting.

Groundhogs haven't been plentiful at all hereabouts. Think we've gotten 'yotes around, but the local farming operations have gotten lots more effecient, too. More and more family farms are being rented out to the bigger operators, which seems to be bad for birds and 'hogs.

Not sure why Danzac is speeding things up for you. Usually the loss in back pressure due to the slippernes of the coating results in having to use a touch more powder to get the same chamber pressure.

How about some details on the camera, too.

Alex
Old 09-09-2009, 04:57 PM

I do mention in each video the yardages but, the first one a head shot was 225 yards. I was aiming for the chest by the way. The second one was 180 yards, I would have tried at the initial distance of 260 yards but, when I sat down I could not see the hog. I had to creep up to 180 yards to finally get a clear shot. My theory on the WS2 is with the fast 1 in 9 twist there is alot of friction created slowing down the bullet. Maybe with the WS2 it decreases the friction and allows a faster speed. I know I have heard if you match the twist rate to the bullet weight you will get higher velocites with the slower twist. Just a theory.

By the way the camera I just got is a Sony miniDV with a 40X optical zoom. The model is the DCR-H52 and I got it for about $225. I had bought a flash base camera before and it did not record as good as picture so I returned it. Also that camera would not work well with Windows Movie Maker.

Last edited by GrdhgKiller; 09-09-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:55 AM
Supporting Member

Awe…. there’s nothing like first blood... if you run into bad luck give me a call and i will give you the contacts of a couple places that I shoot at in s. cent NE… not much but it’s the best I have (its all I have )