Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-26-2016, 01:23 AM
Supporting Member

George, had a TSA on my strong side 12/18/15. A good brake and recoil pad and you'll be fine. Reminds me I've got load development on my .450 Alaskan Model 71 to do...

Got it George! Guess I need to work on the mind next! ��

Last edited by MrMajestic; 07-26-2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:26 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Thanks guys, lots of good advice.
Was hoping there'd be some in the same fix though, maybe they just
haven't read this one yet, we'll see.

Bill: Can't use one of those things hunting!

Had this gun built for an Australian water buffalo cull shoot: "re: 10 a day for ten days figure 250-300 rounds" as it was promised before I got sick 4 yrs ago. Still planning on going but, won't happen at least until next summer our time.

MrM: Correct your date please, that one's not here yet!

Some of you know I was a long haul trucker for about ten years. Throwing those 20' 3/8" chains over hundreds of loads I'm sure helped wreck my original joints. Over head welding another ten, and bucking bales since I was a kid couldn't have helped much.

I'd grown knots on the ball of both, and when reaching for things they'd pop over that knot and jerk my arm. Nearly destroyed a $350 stock blank cutting the barrel channel with a router. Around '90 I had the R one "scoped", that helped. I never did tear the rotator though it was in bad shape when he cut it all out to put this $100,000 hunk of titanium and plastic in. I also had a 3/4" x3" long bone spur down into the arm pit. Never knew that til the x-rays showed it. Both joints were mighty painful several years bone on bone. They're doing great now, though just a bit less reach and motion. Cured the pains. Am mighty glad to have them done.

First doc was a shooter and told me I'd be able to shoot the big guns in six months. Didn't say how big a gun though, just that much. He was a shooter and we talked .45 Colt, .454 and .375H&H several times so I figured he knew what he was talking about. Just before he was going to put the R one in I got sick and he moved to Boise, ID before I was ready for the doings again. The doc that did both is not a shooter, he did work with the first one for several years. His advice it go ahead but, don't over do it if it don't feel right.

I had a patch of 1/4" leather 5"x10" sewn on straps and the belly strap has 12 shell loops for a recoil pad I can hunt with. Had that made last summer after shooting the test loads in a tee shirt. Haven't shot with it on yet. This rifle has 20oz's of mercury and weighs 15lbs loaded, plus a 2"x7" recoil pad K Weaver said was the best and biggest made. Yet it still kicks about like Dad's 9lb .375 with .300gr hunting loads, and that's with the 'starting loads' mentioned above. Still, I'd sure hate to wreck things.

Thanks guys,

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 07-26-2016, 11:37 AM
Supporting Member

Hey George you could always shoot from the hip! It worked for the Rifleman.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:17 PM

P.A.S.T. - works for me.