Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-16-2016, 02:51 PM
Supporting Member

For a squirrel round out to 250 yd, the 20 Mink is hard to beat as Dave said. I tried it on some ground hogs eating my little garden this spring, shot 7 from 25 to 70 yds. The 70 yd one was around 10 lbs and was a bang flop. This spring I shot nearly a 1000 of the 17 Squirrel on squirrels in Ore. I was totally satisfied with it's performance also but the 17 Mink MAY have been a little better. One case to consider is something based on the 22 TCM case. I have the 17 and 20 Boomer, I have only used the 17 Boomer on PD's, out to 300 yds. Cases like the Mink series are unbelievable performers, cheap to shoot and easy on barrels. I hate to admit it but I've shot many hundreds of rounds without cleaning. Accuracy was still good but I was feeling guilty not cleaning. You won't do that with the bigger cases.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:59 PM

Chuck, I'm with you on the 20 VT. Still the best all-around!. By the way, I decided to retire (June 1). Sold my house in Plano and moved out full time to the house in Reno (still have the same cell #). Been playing with the Bobcat some this past week. A fun round! 410gauge
Old 07-16-2016, 03:09 PM

Ray, did you EVER clean the 17 Squirrel before you headed home...LOL?
Old 07-16-2016, 03:38 PM
Supporting Member

Dave I ran a couple patches thru it around the 450-500 point and then shot another nearly 500. It cleaned up great when I got home. AND I've always been a shoot 50 and clean guy but these little cases have been forgiving to my laziness. I live from year to year for my one hunt a year out west. I have a bucket of new barrels waiting and have a good gunsmith in Eddie so I went for it.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:44 PM

Ray, Don't blame you a bit...about your cleaning regiment...not my favorite part either. A 100 rds. between cleaning has been as far as I go...but now that I have two of the Minks...that will probably change!!! Dave
Old 07-22-2016, 05:37 AM

Default Made a decision and thanks for the opinions and information.

Ran across a new, no turn VT reamer and being knee deep in the .223 brass, well, I just couldn't resist even though there were some mighty intriguing suggestions.

I'm wondering about running this reamer in another .050-.070" and having my bud extend the neck abt that much.......I like the idea of burying the convergence point as well as the option of heavies not interfering with the volume and being able to get to the lands as needed......This may put me toward the top end of my charge wgt criteria, time will tell.

My bbls from X Cal are close to shipping according to Sherm. Fun times in the making.

Again, thanks to all who responded. Maybe next time I'll consider a smaller bore and check back in for ideas and suggestions. Until then, good shooting.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:02 PM

Boring old 222 Rem. H4198 behind a 30 to 40-gr bullet. Done. Go shoot some squirrels!
Old 07-28-2016, 02:25 AM

Default squirrel caliber

I think you made a very wise choice with the 20 VT. I think the 221 FB is a very nice rat round also. I really prefer shooting the 17 FB or the Mach 4 if the wind isn't blowing.

good luck with the VT
Old 07-28-2016, 02:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAJ45 View Post
Ran across a new, no turn VT reamer and being knee deep in the .223 brass, well, I just couldn't resist even though there were some mighty intriguing suggestions.

I'm wondering about running this reamer in another .050-.070" and having my bud extend the neck abt that much.......I like the idea of burying the convergence point as well as the option of heavies not interfering with the volume and being able to get to the lands as needed......This may put me toward the top end of my charge wgt criteria, time will tell.

My bbls from X Cal are close to shipping according to Sherm. Fun times in the making.

Again, thanks to all who responded. Maybe next time I'll consider a smaller bore and check back in for ideas and suggestions. Until then, good shooting.
Kinda sorta sounds about like Ray's 20 Javelina improved? If it is, it's an awesome cartridge. You need to make the shoot this weekend Tom.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:39 AM
Supporting Member

Now that you're decision is made, and a great one at that (although IMO leaving it as a straight .20 VT would be my choice especially as the term "high volume" came up, dies off the shelf etc). I won't try to change your mind but I gotta say that Brother Ray coerced me again and once again he was right . He suggested the .20 Ackley Hornet, what a dandy! 13.6 grains of 1680 pushes a 32 V-Max to 3325ish FPS and is all over 250 yards and a hundred more that. Love it!
Actually I'm not sure there are any bad choices, only new ones . I love all of em. Let us know how it comes along for ya .