Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-16-2016, 09:13 PM

I did not pay MSRP, nowhere near that.

I have 40, 50, 63 and 69 grain bullet loads that I will be trying.

I have the precision end of the spectrum covered. Lots of rifles that have one ragged hole groups at 200 yards.

Wifey was insisting on something with higher capacity. Since AR was badly demonized by NY and you can't drop the mag I went with the Mini. The lack of gun knowledge and level of stupidity of our NY and federal politicians never ceases to amaze me.

The recent tragic happenings in France where the ISIS Muslim killed all those people without a gun greatly underscores the fact that guns are not the problem. Are they going to ban trucks now? I think we will see more in-kind-terrorist actions from the Muslims where they can take out large numbers of soft targets at mass gatherings. Thank you Opu$$y and Hiliary.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:34 PM

Ny legal ar can have a detachable magazine they just can't have any other "evil" features. I almost vomit with saying that phrase but it is the state if affairs in this communist state. So you can't have a pistol grip there are a few stocks that solve that problem. Stock has to be fixed. No forearm grip that protrudes at 90 degrees. No baynot holder or muzzle break. A legal ar can be made and not need registered as an assault weapon. The cost is comparable to a standard ar if done right. I encourage you to build a ny legal ar. In my mind it's a great way to stick it to Cuomo and his idiots in Albany. The rules are dumb but I will do everything to be legal but rebel as much as possible.
On a side note the sks is perfectly ny legal and it look at the damage it did in dallas. Makes no sense to me. And the France truck thing came to mind when I saw the news. Evil people will do evil things. I say shoot straight and send them to God to be judged.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10

Last edited by 260Ackley; 07-16-2016 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:52 AM
Supporting Member

So is it just AR's that can't have drop magazines or any semi-auto rifle?
Old 07-17-2016, 01:15 AM

I believe it's any semi auto rifle other then 22 rimfire. The m14 has a fixed stock and no pistol grip so it's okay.They even have shotguns they call assault shotguns that are semi auto. And scary assault pistols........ the law is ridiculous and dumb passed overnight literally at midnight not giving the standard 48 hours to review it and be open to public discussions/questions. They were officials that signed it without reading it. There is even a provision that if you loose your pistol permit because any officer of the law or judge flippantly decides for any reason they see fit that you shouldn't have it they by law will come and confiscate all I repeat all of your firearms. Long guns shot guns everything...
Old 07-17-2016, 02:36 AM
Supporting Member

Well, as Forrest's Mamma always said 260, "Stupid is as stupid does". That is truly absurd!!!
Back to the topic though. Has the Mini 14 actually been made more accurate or is that just sales hype? As well as they functioned it always seemed to me that the only thing it was missing was inch and a half to two inch groups to keep it from being a real dandy.
Jim Clark down in Louisiana guaranteed an inch groups on their Mini 14 overhaul years back but as I remember it was "WAY" spendy considering what it was going on and they don't offer it anymore.
flashhole be sure and let us know how things transpire for ya .
Old 07-17-2016, 03:26 AM

Default mini 14

My brother has shot a truck load of coyotes with his Mini 14. Can't remember when he bought it, but over 20 years ago.
The bad news is that its accuracy was terrible. Shortly after he bought it, he sent it off and had it custom barreled and accurized. Believe he sent it to a place in Odessa, Texas.
In my opinion, he would be better off with a good AR15. I went the AR route and have a more accurate rifle, at about the same total cost.

Last edited by df06; 07-17-2016 at 03:30 AM.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:32 AM

I will report on accuracy in a couple of weeks.

To answer the question that was asked - dropped mags are not allowed on AR 15 rifles ... that's the main reason I went with the mini. They are allowed on the mini 14. Don't know about an AK, that gun never appealed to me.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:22 PM
Supporting Member

My pre-ranch Mini 14 was a 3 MOA gun prior to Accuracy Systems work, that was yes spendy. It is a 1 MOA gun now that makes Chipmunks, not Hornets, in serious trouble at 200 yards. My Colt M-4 was the same right out of the box, of course both after load development. Something about the wood stock, M14 appearance and light weight compact package. The M14 look is really enhanced with Carl's second generation stabilizer on my Mini 30 while the first generation on my Mini 14 looks like a suppressor which I'm asked about all the time. Enjoy it, improve it and have fun!
Old 07-17-2016, 12:33 PM

The safe act states a semi automatic rifle capable of accepting a detachable magazine may not have more then one of the military style features I listed above. Detachable mags are allowed just no other features. It counts as your one evil feature.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:07 PM

Default I've owned a couple, love the roller cam action, reliable - yes

but..................w/o spending a half a pile of cash on them, in general, the saying of "Why do you scope a Mini?" So you can what it is you can't hit....
applies in spades. There will always be anomalies but one heckuva roll of the the dice hoping to get the 1 moa example.

Kinda like trying to mod a Mopar 318 engine to run with the 327/350s. It can maybe be done - how deep are your pockets, how is the patience level and will it probably ever be "quite there with the other options"? Not to mention resale, which no matter what I've told myself in the past, that time seems to come around more often than expected.

The only gun I want ???

The next one.