Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-25-2016, 04:25 PM
Supporting Member

Default Jackrabbit numbrs are up this year............

It seems that everywhere you find jackrabbits that their numbers are up significantly this year. That has both good and bad ramifications. Increased rabbit numbers generally mean lower coyote numbers.

On the positive side, it should make a trip to West Texas an exciting time later this fall. For years I've shot them in large numbers with a Marlin 922M semi-auto and a few other rifles, and the increased numbers will mean lots of fun to be had.

And before someone extra knowledgeable tells me that 22 Mag ammo is scarce, I have a very good supply of 22 Mag ammo and I will be able to buy more locally before I go west. In fact, I'll probably buy enough to use for the trip before I go and save my stockpile for later.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 07-25-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:20 PM

Default jack rabbits

Glad to hear this. I grew up in the 60s in west central Kansas. When in high school we shot them with 22s and shotguns in large numbers. It was not uncommon for a couple guys to shoot 25-50 in a good day, especially if there was snow on the ground.
I don't live there any more but get back there deer, pheasant, and dove hunting every year. We rarely see one any more.
However in talking to some locals there yesterday, they are seeing quite a few, more than in many years, this summer.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:28 PM

From my travels this spring and summer, it appears that jackrabbits peaked last year in my general area of operations. Numbers are still decent in most places, but definitely down from last year and in a few spots I've been to, way down from last year.

Just very generally speaking, with plenty of localized exceptions, but my experience over a few bunny cycles has been that coyote number follow the jacks. They (coyotes) have been up where the bunnies have been up and with the not infrequent exceptions as already noted, I expect they'll start down again as the bunnies decline. At the most basic level, it's nothing more than prey base=carrying capacity.

- DAA
Old 07-25-2016, 06:30 PM

Oh, and I'm really looking forward to putting a suppressor on my 922M for thumping jacks this winter . Have an adequate, though not inexhaustible stash of .22 Mag.

- DAA
Old 07-25-2016, 07:50 PM

Default Dave, you just have

TOO MUCH FUN ! ! !

I don't remember you ever mentioning much about skwirrelz......not enough time? Hey, you're not making movies, right??
Old 07-25-2016, 09:55 PM
Board Sponsor

Mink farmers used to pay 0.25 a piece for them, they would grind them up and feed them to the mink, fur and all. Hard to beat getting to have a good time hunting as well as make money. Sure bought more shells than were expended.
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com
Old 07-25-2016, 11:23 PM

Our trip out west this spring dog hunting we saw less jacks then in previous years. Shooting jacks are a extra bonus when dog hunting that my buddy's an I enjoy. A 32gr Nosler at 4000+fps from a 20cal. sure makes a mess of a long eared sprinter.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:38 AM
Supporting Member

Bought my first bicycle with money from jackrabbits in the late 50's and early 60's. Dad and I would wait for a snow and the hunt was on. I spotted and he shot until I was old enough to shoot. We also hunted the winter wheat fields at night with a spot light and grey hounds. As stated the mink farms and zoos would buy them in the winter. We still had good numbers into the 70's but the numbers have remained low for years. I have not shot a jack in several years. I did see several last weekend "down home" (extreme south east Colorado).
rider

I also remember going on a rabbit drive when I was 4 or 5. At that time there seemed to be a jack behind every soap weed.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:54 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Rider:

Now just what the devil would you use a bicycle for 'down there"?
Chase coyotes on it maybe?

Bet not many on here even have any idea what a soap weed is.
We know though, right? ha!

Rain out there tonight? 1/4" here is all for all the thumping that went on I expected a dandy.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 07-26-2016, 01:13 PM
Board Sponsor

Soap weed is dang delicious! Loved to expose new folks to it, I'd eat the top's while they looked at me like an idiot, by the time I had convinced them it was good I'd be down to the lower portion which does indeed get very soapy in flavor. Took me a while to convince them to then eat the tops after I had my laughs. Thanks for the reminder.

For those that are scratching the head, it is also known as the yucca cactus. The blooms that shoot out of the center on tall spike are edible and the lower sections can be used for soap making. The leaves can be plucked closer to the base, having only a sharp tip at the end, bend that tip and break off the center leave section and pull toward the bottom, the edges of the leave will strip off and you have an instant needle and thread. Just another rather useful little plant.
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com