Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-26-2016, 03:17 AM
Supporting Member

Default Can an AR be a sporting rifle?..DUH!!

Election time in a crazy world made crazier by an "Appeaser/Apologist in Chief". As the "aggrieved" attack the innocent and Our Valiant Law Enforcement Officers are attacked over the sins of the few, without backing from many supposed leaders, a villain is needed to take the blame for ineptitude in office.. I'll pick those ugly black rifles. "It's guns, guns are to blame" they say.
Any a this sounding familiar? "It's like Déjà vu all over again"!
As I heard another know nothing politician claim an AR can't be a sporting rifle I thought about my resistance to em since the late 60's and how I was Purchase Mentored into one by my pal Dan C. and the sellout of em after Potato-Head was elected. Everyone sold out of em so all of them ordered heavy and suddenly they were choking on em, I love a buyers market!
I ended up buying a BushMaster Predator and being anal I proceeded to break it in as I would any rifle, shoot one and clean till there is no more blue. I then developed a load using 25.3 grain of Benchmark under a 55 grain V-Max lit up by a Rem 7 1/2BR primer. First check on the question "Can an AR be a sporting rifle has to be accuracy right? Can it shoot like a sporting rifle? Well lets see. Here's a good but not "Freaky Good" 5 shot 100 yard group.

Here's another group with the cheap, Bulk Hornady 55SP W-Cannelure. I yanked one right so I fired another so this is actually 6 shots.

Yupper! Shoots good enough to be a sporter.
Then I took it out on it's first hunt and as luck would have it, on a fairly breezy day, it's first shot on a living varmint put one in this big badgers right ear at dang near 300 yards. The Predator takes a predator. Real sorry about the re-posted re-post but it fits the topic and besides I like the picture.

After popping a number of these that day.

I shot a bunch of gophers and it became quite obvious to me that while I wasn't looking, someone went and turned AR's not only into Sporting Rifles but dang useful ones at that.
Been some talk on the board on a few threads of late about semi autos accuracy and "parts rifles" as some see em but that big heavy BushMaster Predator is a sporter that guy's 40 years ago would pay all kinda money to a gun smith to get their bolt guns to shoot that good!
Sorry about the rant guys, to much news for me! Think I'll see if I can find some Flintstone re-runs or something and detune.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:37 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Doug:

That's pretty darned good shootin for such an old man so far out in the hills.
Especially with such a 'black rifle' that's not supposed to be good for anything other than killing people or use in war.

I'm still anti AR's yet, had my fill of 'em in the Army. Though IF I had the funding for all my other desires I might just buy one or two for the H of it to help the masses and keep gun makers in business. Since I don't have it now, will stand by the wayside and see what the rest of you guys do about it.

Even thought I feel that way about them. An M-16 is what convinced me to buy a Sako varmint rifle. Told the DI the first time I shot it: "Sure wish I had a fine varmint rifle in this cartridge for prairie dogs". Heck of a deal. A couple weeks later he yelled in the door: "Dwight get your S-- and get out here!" Went to his car and told me to get in back. Had his g/friend along and drove to the range. Opened the trunk and told me to get that ammo can and targets and enjoy myself and not bother them until I ran out of ammo. Can was FULL. I shot every round in it that afternoon while they parked under a shady tree a couple hundred yards away. Who ever figured that could even happen in basic training??

Sure wrecked that pelt huh? Quite a hole to sew up, or did you save it?
Thanks for sharing, find something else to rant about now, haha! OR go buy the bride one too, that way she could keep you occupied in the loading room longer. Cheers!

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 07-26-2016, 12:51 PM
Supporting Member

Doug I've never been into AR's. But on that trip where Gary ''stole ''that TCR from you, I saw some in 9mm. Any experience with those. I thought at the time what a gopher gun if made in a 17 or 20 cal. Magazine length might be a problem. It's what made me finally do the 17 and 20 Boomer but in a CZ. I know Charlie (22 Boomer) made some single shot AR's but don't recall the calibers. I did a lot of ''what if'' case forming on the various 9mm cases but now we have the 22 TCM to work with. That also seems like a perfect fit. If anyone has built such a gun, I hope you reply. I know Tony R. could and probably has built about everything under the sun in a AR.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:58 PM

The 9mm AR's are a straight blow-back operation semi-auto, no gas system, like a Ruger 10-22, but with a heavier bolt. Mine is fun, but definitely not a target/varmint rifle, but most people can shoot them better than a pistol at 75 or 100yds.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:35 PM
Supporting Member

Don't know anything about the AR's with Pistol rounds Ray. I'm not an AR guy per-se, but when Dan got into 3 gun and I watched some a that I just got interested. I started out looking for something short and light and the fell back on my Varmint shooter roots when over at the store and bought the BushMaster first. I later picked up a Danial Defense M4V5 which is something like I originally set out to get. Those two are it for me. Only reason I brought this thread up was hearing some clown saying (screaming actually) "Assault rifles have no possible use as a sporting rifle and all they are good for is war and killing people" . Tell that to that badger!
Better now after a good nights sleep, sorry about the off topic thread. If it's to political I'll disappear it .
Old 07-26-2016, 08:39 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by montdoug View Post
Don't know anything about the AR's with Pistol rounds Ray. I'm not an AR guy per-se, but when Dan got into 3 gun and I watched some a that I just got interested. I started out looking for something short and light and the fell back on my Varmint shooter roots when over at the store and bought the BushMaster first. I later picked up a Danial Defense M4V5 which is something like I originally set out to get. Those two are it for me. Only reason I brought this thread up was hearing some clown saying (screaming actually) "Assault rifles have no possible use as a sporting rifle and all they are good for is war and killing people" . Tell that to that badger!
Better now after a good nights sleep, sorry about the off topic thread. If it's to political I'll disappear it .
You should send him one of your full rant melt down PM's and set that clown straight.....

I have four AR's but I don't have a scope on any of them.... Two of them have Eotec dot sights but no magnification...... DUH....

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 07-26-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:42 PM

Default Can a AR be a sporting rifle ?..Duh

Problem with guys like that. They do not know what a "Assault Rifle" is, just spout off from what they are told by the anti's and gun confiscation groups/people. And they will not learn either. Bill K
Old 07-26-2016, 11:29 PM
Supporting Member

"Black Gun Lives Matter"
Old 07-27-2016, 12:08 AM
Administrator

Here in PA they can't be used for hunting. Heck, we can't even use 10/22's for tree squirrels. They're trying to pass legislation to allow it, but it has a fat chance of passage.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:08 AM

I did not see much in the AR's through the 70's, maybe early 80's. Then we started doing what we called "Rattle Battles" and "Mad Minute Bowling Pin shoots at the gun club, and the AR's were perfectly suited for those and various other kinds of "action" matches we contrived.

Mine was never that impressive on paper, but I never tried much to make it that way. All I know is, when there were 10 bowling pins set out at 200 meters, I could knock them down usually 10x10 as fast as I could get the crosshairs on the pins, and that with plain old FMJ handloads.

So to answer the initial question, my reply is "heck yes."