Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-29-2009, 05:11 AM

I had to replace the the entire box and follower. The block is welded in so removal wasnt an option. My smith had one in stock so it was not a problem, he just traded them out for me.

I am currently shooting a variety of 25gr bullets. The Kindlers, Nagels and the Hornady HP. They all shoot good but the Nagels really shine so far with Varget. The 30 golds shot pretty good but I have an inventory of 25's I need to burn up before spending another 50 bucks on a box of bullets. I might work up a load with some other powder, maybe 748, 760 or H380 for fun and see what I come up with. I would like to try a powder thats a touch slower than the varget.

My biggest problem is the POS x-mark trigger in this thing, adjustable my aching a$$. If only I had the funds to swap it out right now.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:21 AM

You and Mark are making me feel better
I will see if John has one in stock before I send it off to rechamber.
Does that Nagels have a website?

In Christ,

Song Dog
Old 12-29-2009, 06:44 PM

If I was moving up to a big 17, that would be the one. I was ready to move forward and ended up building a 17Jav and a Tac20. I think you might miss a few little bumps by just going 223 as a donor. NEVER SHOOT THE DONOR. Learned hard a few times. I am not impressed at all with the new Remington Trigger. They go for about 50 bucks. put that towards a Shilen Jewell or Timney
Old 12-30-2009, 10:25 PM
Supporting Member

Song Dog, I have two (2) 17 Tac rifles and they are awesome...I have tried several bullets, including some mentioned above, and a few different powders....The 30 Gr. Gold is the hands down winner when it comes to tight groups, high BC and kills that are Bang Flops.....I have killed several Coyotes with it and have not had a splash or an exit.....On ground hogs, it will not exit a grown GH out to beyond 400 yds....I setteled on Varget early on and never looked back....It doesn't meter quite as well as some others but the SD is very low and velocity is very high. I get slightly over 4000 fps out of a 23" barrel and it is "lazer" flat....You will be very pleased. If I can help with your loads any, feel free to pm me...George
Old 12-30-2009, 11:20 PM

WOW! Thanks George. I may be ask'n (thought I would warn ya).
I will use Varget to, cuz I have alot of it and use on my others.
If you want to PM or post your receipts and anything else, I would love to take a look at it.
I did pick up the donor tonight and talked to my gunsmith today about the under metal, everything is good
HEY GUYS THANKS FOR HELPING OUT!

In Christ,

Song Dog
Old 01-01-2010, 05:40 PM

Got the chance to talk to Chan Nagel, the other night. I could have talked with him all night, but the phone bill wouldn't appreciate it I am going to start the 17Tac with his T000 30 grainers.
Here it is New Years day and I want to work on this thing but it needs shipped off 1st to rechamber. Amazing how a gun can take an adult and turn you into a kid again. Every gun I get, I become a kid again at heart. I love it

btw Furhunter, thanks again for the info on the phone. I think if I wasn't working, I could have talked with ya, for an hour or two. Just learning the ins and outs of this project. THANKS

In Christ,

Song Dog
Old 01-02-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song Dog View Post
btw Furhunter, thanks again for the info on the phone. I think if I wasn't working, I could have talked with ya, for an hour or two. Just learning the ins and outs of this project. THANKS

In Christ,

Song Dog
No problem! If you need something in the future or have a quick question just call.