Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-17-2008, 05:25 PM

Default 17x28

A big thankyou to George for the 17x28 case. Has me all excited about a new project. Had Eagle View do a 591 conversion, so I really don't want to mess with it right now. I've got a Ruger in 17hmr that I've never shot that seems to be begging for this neat little round! To eyeball the two, would appear that one could just run a reamer in the hmr to rechamber it. My question would be the conversion to centerfire, anyone here do, or have done it? The little Ruger action would be perfect, and I'd rather reload than waste the hmr brass. Any ideas? Thanks, Jim
Old 02-18-2008, 12:11 AM

if you insist on using the 77/17 hmr, you might measure the front part of the 22 hornet bolt to see if it's the same length. if it's longer you might be able to shorten it, the front part of the bolt is held on by a pin thru the bolt.
extractors might have to be modified as the hornet rim is thicker than the 5.7X28 rim.
if i were to be working this project i would probably start with the 77/22 hornet rather than the 17 hmr. there would not be a need to convert to centerfire, the barrel screws in rather than tensioned in, you could cut threads in the action and one might be able to rework the clip in a way to make it feed.
if memory serves me correctly, the body on the 5.7x28 is larger than the hornet, so you would need to open the guide rails in the clip for it to feed.

Last edited by retnuhxof; 02-18-2008 at 12:14 AM.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:25 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Best bet is just contact: kevin@weaverrifles.com.
He's made a few of these cal's on CZ's, don't know about others.
But, he'd know where to start and would get it done long before you could
get it working right doing it yourself. Ask me how I know!!

THe one I sent you is MY OWN one time chamber cut. IT's different than the other guys that have them here. Weaver made Foxhunters, and there's others too. I'd say that reamer he has is "more standard" size and should be used. Mine was cut too deep by an 1/8". IT's fine, but, other info is just a starting point. Save yourself the battle and money, not to mention the hassles of striking out on your own like I did.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"