Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-31-2022, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
I have an E1 3x9 30mm and am very happy with it, but its a set it and forget it. I have a FF 4.5x14 AO Japan scope that is as clear as my VXII 4x12 and brighter. I am also one that has too many rifles to put "good" scopes on. I did spring for a new Golden Eagle with hd glass for my .284 1000yd rifle, but that's probably the most I will ever spend on a scope.
I am just fine in some cases with a scope that will hold its zero and can be zeroed, but if a guy is going to be dialing the adjustments must be precise and accurate.

What has raised its ugly head more than a couple times the last couple years were individuals who had either on their own or been talked into FFP scopes on long range Varmint rifles. The guys who bought them had a choice of blotting out the entire target or not being able to use high magnification.
Old 08-01-2022, 01:51 PM
Supporting Member

I don't have any trouble with E1 reticle in FFP at 500-600 yard prairie dogs. I love the fact that once you know how the trajectory of your chosen load matches up to the ballistic lines in the reticle you can choose any power and everything still matches. Any problems with FFP probably result from a poor reticle choice. Just my personal choice after decades of shooting and hundreds of thousands shots fired at rodents.
Old 08-01-2022, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHasty View Post
I am just fine in some cases with a scope that will hold its zero and can be zeroed, but if a guy is going to be dialing the adjustments must be precise and accurate.

What has raised its ugly head more than a couple times the last couple years were individuals who had either on their own or been talked into FFP scopes on long range Varmint rifles. The guys who bought them had a choice of blotting out the entire target or not being able to use high magnification.
I actually prefer the FFP. My favorite is the ebr2c moa. I don't dial with that reticle, and also use for range finder, using a known size of a Pdog in moa.
Old 08-06-2022, 08:32 PM

I have a couple good scopes that I use on multiple rifles. I installed 1913 rails on the rifles and QD rings on the scopes. A little cheat sheet has the zero settings for each one, and because the turrets are reliable the whole thing works great. One rifle got dropped and the zero shifted slightly, but the nightforce didn't bend I guess because it still uses the same zero settings on other rifles. I used to think that was a hollywood thing where you put the rifle together out of a case and and take a shot, but the QD rings and repeatable turrets really work.

Old 08-06-2022, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrod View Post
I have a couple good scopes that I use on multiple rifles. I installed 1913 rails on the rifles and QD rings on the scopes. A little cheat sheet has the zero settings for each one, and because the turrets are reliable the whole thing works great. One rifle got dropped and the zero shifted slightly, but the nightforce didn't bend I guess because it still uses the same zero settings on other rifles. I used to think that was a hollywood thing where you put the rifle together out of a case and and take a shot, but the QD rings and repeatable turrets really work.

It can be argued a few scopes have better optical clarity than NF but none are more durable or have better more repeatably accurate turrets than a NF.
Old 08-06-2022, 11:59 PM

NF were originally located just up the road. People I know were purchasing seconds and scratch and dent ones pretty cheap. I probably should have picked up a few. The only real objection I have to them is they are standard equipment for the tactikids in the “running” crowd. Like in- I’m running the latest super extra camo pattern in my extra technical socks this year.

Last edited by JDHasty; 08-07-2022 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-07-2022, 07:04 AM

That'd be more of that pontificating stuff because those "tactikids" could care less what anyone else is using so I'm not quite sure why someone would care what they use.
Old 08-07-2022, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
That'd be more of that pontificating stuff because those "tactikids" could care less what anyone else is using so I'm not quite sure why someone would care what they use.
I agree, that "who cares what the other guy or tactikids do. It is their choice and what they want, just like we have ours.
It is always someone that wants to divide and conquer that causes the issues, just like politicians, with their cheap talk and wanting everyone to agree or think like they do and do as they do.
Old 08-07-2022, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
...repeatably accurate turrets than a NF.
I got my first NF after starting the local steel matches. They like to do stages with a lot of dialing--stuff like shoot a target at 1200, then 200, then 850, then 200, then 750... I've seen several "good" name scopes fail at these matches, like leopold. I would never try this with a burris. The few I've had were fine to zero and never touch again.

Last edited by flyrod; 08-07-2022 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-08-2022, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
I agree, that "who cares what the other guy or tactikids do. It is their choice and what they want, just like we have ours.
It is always someone that wants to divide and conquer that causes the issues, just like politicians, with their cheap talk and wanting everyone to agree or think like they do and do as they do.
If you want to know what I have against the Tactikids this episode of Southpark is a good place to start. https://southpark.cc.com/video-clips...-brrub-brrrrub

I am willing to go on record saying that I have an appreciation for quite a bit of the iron that Harley Davidson builds and has built over the years, my objection to owing one is the Harleykids.

Just as the Harleykids have a compelling need to muster a mob and show up where others are minding their own business and enjoying themselves and demand that others pay attention to them. When the Tactikids show up at the range, kitted out like they are about to storm the beach and save the free world, if there is one individual at the left most of fifteen firing points and the remaining fourteen shooting points are completely empty they will invariably set up immediately next to the man who is at bench one for a reason, so that he doesn't end up with hot brass landing in his lap or down the neck of his shirt when the Tactikids show up. Then, if you haven't already packed up and headed over to the small bore range by then they are going to haul out a class four SB rifle or AR Pistol with a 10 or twelve inch barrel on it chambered in a high intensity bottle necked cartridge and start popping off rounds that practically deafen you unless you have plugs and muffs over them, while yelling out: Did you hear that?

But wait, it gets better. Before long out comes the 378 Weatherby case necked to 338 caliber stuffed with 120 plus grains of machine gun powder that is about as course as a pallet of presto logs. If you are extraordinarily lucky this bolt action or Barrett semi-auto piece of ordinance will have a barrel that is 28 or 30 inches long and the fire will have gone out before you are showered with kernels of unburnt powder. But luck, is kind of like hope, the promises rarely materialize. If there is a single one that is not sporting a muzzle break that direct gas and still burning powder back at a 45 degree angle, out of a 20-24 inch barrel, it is a well kept secret. So, not only are you practically blown off your stool, the coatings on the lenses of your high dollar optics, such as rifle and spotting scopes, are being blasted with a cloud of hot, high velocity gas containing kernels of two thousand degree unburnt powder as well as sand and other debris. Yes, that is exactly what happened to damage the lens coating on our Kowa spotting scope.

Then, if it just so happens that your nephew who you are helping to get started in varmint shooting is there unattended with his late father's vintage Model 700 VS in 22-250 with older Leupold fixed 24 Power Benchrest scope. Well, the next time you talk to him he is going to express concern that it will be possible for him to have any degree of success until he has upgraded to a Bartlein barrel, Jewell Trigger and Night Force scope. And, it must be chambered in 6mm Dasher don'tcha know? That is if he wants to be able to hit anything.

Last edited by JDHasty; 08-08-2022 at 04:59 PM.