Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-02-2019, 06:35 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johno View Post
Dang, have ya hidden it

I did look but can't find it for the life of me I do recall it was a once upon a time post it was that long ago but you were'nt happy about the rim thickness and diameter and the brass was just rough.

Hope to shoot it this coming week but again i'm stuck with lil gun which does'nt seem perfect

All good mate

Johno

I haven't hidden anything.

This is the only forum where I can remember ever having posted about the Schroeder 5MM conversion. For reference about how I feel about my 5MM CF, please re-read my earlier post from Saturday. I have kept the rifle and the CF stuff for almost 20 years because I've enjoyed the combination. As I alluded, the brass doesn't look like shiny new Lapua brass, but it is very functional and the rifle/CF ammo combination is very accurate and fun to shoot.

All of it is far from perfect, but I knew that going into the Shroeder conversion from my experience with the first 5MM RF that I bought long ago. And for a fact, I've not worried about measuring any of the 500 rounds of CF brass that I bought circa 2000 to see if I thought it was useable. Its all worked about like I expected it to from day one.

Again, maybe give it a try, and you might find that you are indeed over-thinking all of this.......

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 06-02-2019, 07:14 AM
Supporting Member

Over thinking, cough splutter, man how can you channel my wife over that distance

Nope you definitely posted that comment and you know it your just having a bad day and taking it out on me trying to make me spend hours finding the post, not going to play
Old 06-02-2019, 03:04 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johno View Post
Over thinking, cough splutter, man how can you channel my wife over that distance

Nope you definitely posted that comment and you know it your just having a bad day and taking it out on me trying to make me spend hours finding the post, not going to play

Gees.......... You have me all figured out..............

Actually my wife and I are spending the weekend with my son and family in Liberty Hill, TX. Its hard to have a bad day when you're enjoying a grand son.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 06-02-2019, 10:43 PM
Supporting Member

See your doing it again, we have our two grand kids for 2 weeks. I'm 70 2 weeks can be a verrrrry long time, but we always have fun

Johno
Old 04-11-2021, 04:29 PM

Despite being a member of the Procrastinators' Club of America, I just had to make a timely inquiry about this two-year-old post without my usual delay:

Johno, I was wondering, how did you make out with your new 5mm back in 2019?

I've had great luck with mine. We got the first 5mm when it was first introduced by Remington in the early 1970s. We now have two in the family.

Being I'm 77 years of age and too old and feeble to write much new stuff, I'll take the liberty to plagiarize myself by repeating a post I made just this week on another forum. It reflects my experiences with the topics of 5mms and Grandsons and other stuff in this thread. To wit:

I have a couple of 5mm Remingtons with Schroeder centerfire bolt heads that two of my grandsons are interested in. The boys are nine and ten years old and like rifle and pistol shooting and all things related. I thought these would be a good start in their learning the art of handloading. One rifle is a 591, and the other a 592.

So yesterday I dusted off my 5mm RCBS dies and me and the boys loaded 100 rounds, each of them getting a 50-round box. The loads were comprised of 6 grains LilGun powder with either a 33-grain Hornady Vmax or a 36-grain Berger HP bullet, and Remington small pistol primers.

The brass is also from Schroeder, which is made from 22 Hornet cases. These cases have performed quite well for me during the 15 years I've been shooting them. I've got one group of 50 cases that I've reloaded 15 times so far, and none of the cases show any sign of problems. The only brass losses through the years have been a couple from neck-wrinkling from improper bullet insertion while being careless in reloading. Although the cases look a bit rough from the outside due to the conversion process using a lathe, they have proven to perform exceptionally well for me.

The overall length (OAL) of my handloads are designed to put the bullet real close to the rifling when chambered so there is little to no gap to jump, which can enhance accuracy. I'm careful to make sure they aren't long enough to jam in the rifling, because to do so usually means a stuck bullet and spilled powder in the action if they are withdrawn unfired. BTDT.

My handloads are about 1.48 inches OAL, compared to the rimfire factory OAL of 1.28 inches. The longer handloads with their aerodynamic long-nose bullets do not work through the magazines, but this is of no concern since I want to save the brass anyway. Forcefully ejecting the fired brass can cause it to disappear in the wild, so I am careful to extract them slowly and carefully to prevent that. I just hate to lose brass that can be reloaded many more times.

These 5mm rifles can achieve minute-of-angle accuracy at 100 yards with the right loads if the wind is not blowing and a proper bench rest technique is employed. They also do great on coyotes and crows out to 125 yards or so. With very little recoil, I believe the boys will be happy shooting these little gems.

The velocity from my handloads are around 2100fps, which is what I was looking for in order to approximate the velocity of the original 5mm rimfire cartridges from Remington. I could stuff a bit more powder into the case and get a few more fps, and indeed some folks have, but I find better accuracy not pushing for that last bit of speed. To me, accuracy is more important. And my cases last just about forever.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:23 PM
Supporting Member

Hey Timely Mike

Mate I sold everything off, fortunately I had 20 odd boxes of ammo a 591 & 592 all went to one fella along with the Schroeder gear. I don't believe he has done anything at all with the centerfire conversion as yet, ive told him to join up here and he started the process but had some issues I passed on the moderator details who was happy to sort things for him but ive heard nothing further

Your set sure is going well, talk again in 2024 God willing

Johno
Old 04-12-2021, 04:19 PM

Sorry to hear you got out of the 5mm game Johno, but I do understand. We got to pick and choose our poison in this life because there just ain't enough time for all flavors.

Hope I'll be able to post in '24. The new "progressive" government and its Big Tech censorship allies here in the States may not allow us to talk about guns and such stuff by that time. :-/

Last edited by MikeP; 04-12-2021 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:57 PM

Hope I'll be able to post in '24. The new "progressive" government and its Big Tech censorship allies here in the States may not allow us to talk about guns and such stuff by that time. :-/[/quote]

You have that correct. Just look at how Hunter Biden is being overlooked and treated. Lies on the DROS/paper work buying a gun, which is a felony and nothing is being done too him, no arrest, etc.
But let Joe Blow citizen do the same and ATF/FBI would be on him in a hot minute and he would be sitting in jail waiting trial.
Wash DC is one sick puppy now days and it is only going to get worse for lawful citizen's, while criminals are allow to freely carry on. I.E. the burning and rioting on the ICE facility (federal building) in Portland. No outrage by Commie Democrats for this, but they can not stop their assault on people for the same thing at the Capitol building in Wash DC. Just depends on which side they favor and support and if a investigation/charges are pursued.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:13 AM
Supporting Member

Mike it was a sad day for me parting the rifle & gear the 592 was in new condition, age & health have been issues for awhile and I was glad it went to someone who is young enough to enjoy it

I will always believe this was a great opportunity missed by Remington and other makers to let this die on the vine was a mistake. Felt it was the best rimfire cartridge ever made.

I did have ideas about using a Lithgow 17 HMR as a donor its a strong action I think most issues would have been magazine fit what killed it was Aguila ammo for 5mm was not imported this time around

Johno