Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 01-20-2013, 04:16 AM

Default 22K hornet trim length

The Sierra manual gives 1.384 As the trim length whereas the Berger manual gives it as 1.368. Anyone know which is correct, or should I simply add them together, divide by two and let it go at that. Any thought will be appreciated.
Bob A..

Last edited by Bob Acker; 01-20-2013 at 04:18 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:44 PM

trim to and max case length should be the same as the Hornet as Harold said. Sometimes when fire forming a case the shorten up some, the brass for the new shoulder has to come from somewhere. Maybe that is why you saw it listed as shorter?
Old 01-20-2013, 03:22 PM

1.384" & 1.368" seem way to short to me. I trim to 1.393" & trim as they approach 1.4". I think 1.402" is max SAAMI length.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:38 PM

I have seen a few different versions of the K Hornet now that I think about it. Some have a 30 deg shoulder and some have a 40 deg shoulder. The neck length is also different between the two. I believe the one they show in the Hornady manual has a longer neck and a 40 deg. Mine is the other one which I believe is the more common standard K Hornet.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:03 PM

I started out with Hornet brass trimmed to 1.392 which ended up at 1.378 after fireforming. Material for the extra case capacity had to come from somewhere!
Maybe, had I started with untrimmed cases I would have ended up somewhat nearer the 1.384 number as suggested in the Sierra manual. I too believe the Berger number is way to short. At this point I'm going to go ahead and use the fire formed brass, even though it maybe a little short, and the next time use new untrimmed brass and see how it turns out. If I'm not mistaken, brass that's a little on the short side shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks to all for the help.
Bob
Old 02-06-2013, 05:48 PM

Every chamber is going to be different. I use the caliber specific buttons that Sinclair sells to measure the chamber so I know what to trim to. They really work well.