Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 08-21-2014, 08:49 PM

Default 17 AH brass prep--question

Have been forming brass using the form die, then the trim die, and lastly the full length die. The instructions with the set (RCBS) provide a time length of 1.383'. This procedure produces acceptable brass, however, after fire forming it ends up approx. 015" under the trim length. I understand this is not a major problem but isn't quite right either. The other day I took an unformed and untrimmed case and simple ran it through the full-length sizer and presto out came pre-fire formed case right at the max. trim length. It not only looks correct but provides the proper "crush" fit.
It would therefore seem that I've not only wasted money on the extra dies but time on the extra steps. I also seem to recall someone on the forum making the statement of "run it through the full length sizer, load and shoot".
Any advice will be appreciated.
Bob
Old 08-22-2014, 01:11 AM
Supporting Member

Default Luck of the draw....

Some FL dies will, some won't. A good polish is prone to increase chances it will work. I've used Imperial Sizing wax and not tried anything else since it works great. I use a slightly modified Lee Collet die and shell holder and have not needed to FL size again,...or 'yet'.

Last edited by Alan in GA; 08-22-2014 at 01:16 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:37 AM

Default 17 AH brass prep

I run my brass thru my Wilson neck die and then thru my full length die. The Wilson die reduces the neck diameter so I can run the brass through the full length without crushing the case. I measured my chamber length and then trim to .005" under that. As long as your under a few thousands of the actual chamber length you good to go on the fireform . The final case length is about .015" short after the fireform. Do you know what your chamber length is?

Last edited by L Cazador; 08-22-2014 at 02:44 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Acker View Post
Have been forming brass using the form die, then the trim die, and lastly the full length die. The instructions with the set (RCBS) provide a time length of 1.383'. This procedure produces acceptable brass, however, after fire forming it ends up approx. 015" under the trim length. I understand this is not a major problem but isn't quite right either. The other day I took an unformed and untrimmed case and simple ran it through the full-length sizer and presto out came pre-fire formed case right at the max. trim length. It not only looks correct but provides the proper "crush" fit.
It would therefore seem that I've not only wasted money on the extra dies but time on the extra steps. I also seem to recall someone on the forum making the statement of "run it through the full length sizer, load and shoot".
Any advice will be appreciated.
Bob
Bob, I have done thousands simply using the RCBS full length sizer:

1. Put a very heavy chamfer on the outside of the case neck in 22 caliber.
This is where most people screw up, the heavy chamfer creates a "guide"
and helps the case get started into the form down.

2. I use Lee Sizing wax, which is much more effective than Imperial

3. After applying the wax, simply go slow

4. play with the length in forming down the neck and allow a crush fit on the
brass

5. Now chamfer the inside of the neck

6. You are done

This works so well, that I necked down 1000 at a time on the Hornady progressive.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:36 AM
Supporting Member

Default Hmmm...cool...

I can see where putting a chamfer on case mouths exteriors would help 22 cases ramp up over over high spots in the FL die wall, have to admit I didn't think about that.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan in GA View Post
I can see where putting a chamfer on case mouths exteriors would help 22 cases ramp up over over high spots in the FL die wall, have to admit I didn't think about that.
Alan, put a HEAVY chamfer on the case mouth. Lee sizing wax in the tube that is White is a HUGE improvement over anything else that I tried, used the same wax to lube bullet jackets Cut 50/50 with water. I left the wax on the bullet jackets and the fouling and Standard deviation was cut to single digits.

You really see a huge improvement in cutting down on copper fouling in the 17's with waxed bullets...no down side...cheap and easy.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:03 PM

Ackleyman
The heavy chamfer helps a lot. In addition to saving a couple of steps the OAL is right at what Cooper recommends without any trimming.
This is not only a time saver but I suspect brass will last longer without the stretching that seems to occur in the form die.
Thanks for the help.
Bob