Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-19-2017, 04:03 AM

Default Cooper 17 AH

Have a mod 38 Cooper that will not shoot. Sent it back to Cooper and after 8 months it came back and shots worse than it did before left. Believe a re-barrel is the only solution and would appreciate any advice as to what barrel to use and any recommendation as to someone to do the installation. A return trip to Cooper is out of the question in that i'm not at all impressed with their customer service. Have three other Coopers all of which shot perfectly right out of the boxes--three out of four ain't bad I guess, but kind of an expensive crap shoot.
Any advice will be appreciated
Bob
Old 02-19-2017, 04:15 AM
Supporting Member

What kind of stock?
Mine is a model 22, laminated stock.
I am changing my 22BR to 6.5x47L . My stock needed ALOT of attention, after adding pillars, and devcon bedding, I believe it shoot. Plus now I have a switch barrel Cooper....
Old 02-19-2017, 11:25 AM

Default 17 ah

Bob

did you try the load Cooper uses? 20 gr v max with 11.5 gr 1680

I have 8 Coopers and one problem I never had was getting acceptable accuracy.
have had extraction problems.

hope this helps
Old 02-19-2017, 01:01 PM

I am surprised to hear that, Cooper generally gets great reviews on their customer service. My Cooper 17AH is my favorite rifle, probably the last one I would ever sell. My load is similar to what Glenn posted with the 20gr VMax. Can't remember the exact powder charge.
If I was going to rebarrel mine I would get a Lilja barrel and send it to Bob Green. He knows how to put together a 17AH.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:26 PM

Hey Bob

I Feel your Pain! Nothing is worse feeling than to have a Cooper that won't shoot well!

Have had a lot of Coopers and a couple that just were made wrong and would not shoot! But, am surprised they did not take care of the problem for you....that just does seem contrary to how they usually behave!

I would give Cooper one more try before you give up and see if they won't put you at the head of the line and make you whole again. My experience has been they will give you this kind of help with how much you have already invested in them and their product.

Bill

Last edited by william t. oviatt; 02-19-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:13 PM

I had some issues with my 20 ackley bee for a while and I started sizing the brass so that the bolt was tight to close. If you have not already tried something like this, maybe?? good luck
Old 02-19-2017, 03:29 PM

Default 17 AH cooper

I had a 17AH in a cooper, a heavy barrel. Sold it a few years ago, but it was quite accurate. I don't remember the load except I used Berger 20 gr HPs and 1680 powder.
For the price of those guns, Cooper should make it right. I would call them and see what they will do "again."
Old 02-19-2017, 03:32 PM

not got a cooper but on my Ruger 77/22h rebarreld to 17 A/H with a PacNor 1 in 10 twist the gun is more accurate than me i can manage 0.6" but a mate can get 0.3"
Old 02-19-2017, 03:50 PM

I also had issues with my Cooper 38 in 17 AH but since I bought it used I wasn't sure of its treatment before I owned it. I tried lots of different loads & Bullets and it showed hints of accuracy but not anything near what I felt it should. Most of the time I didn't even mark the targets or save them because the rounds were all over the paper.

I also wasn't interested in loads for the rifle that were accurate but were not very fast. One of the reasons the 17 AH is such a great round is it's capability for speed. What's the point of having a rifle that can shoot bullets up near 4,000 fps but have to load to shoot the bullets down near 3,000 fps because that is the only way to get any accuracy out of it?

I had read some posts of people having issues with sending guns back to Cooper so I decided against that and figured my only option was to get it re-barreled by someone like Bob Green.

One powder I was unable to try was the magic dust Vit N120. So many on this board talk about how great it is in the 17 AH, I wanted to try it before moving on to the drastic measure of re-barreling. Well Powder Valley finally got some in and I got a few pounds to try. Believe it or not my Cooper immediately started shooting vastly improved groups and with a little load work I was able to get it shooting decently enough. Probably isn't as great as a Bob green re-barrel but it shoots good enough for me for now so I figure I will shoot it for a while and look at re-barreling down the road.

Neal in AZ
Old 02-20-2017, 04:51 PM

I believe I've tried just about every possible combination of 1680, and N120 along with v-max and Berger bullets. The best results are with the 120 along with out of production Bergers. Will not shoot the v-max or the Berger MEF's. at all.
According to the folks at Cooper the long delay was the result of their inability to obtain good barrels, and the one I ended up with was the third or fourth one they installed. Offered to pay for an upgrade but they didn't seem interested.
I'd consider Bob Green but unfortunately it looks like a rebarrel with him, though I'm certain it would turn out well, will have me financially buried.
As crazy as it may seem I would like to buy another Cooper but it ain't going to happen until I resolve this problem.
Thanks to all for the input
Bob