Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-31-2019, 10:20 PM
Supporting Member

Well Gary I am not intending to insult the man but the quality was so poor I could not get the jaws of the measuring tool to close on the rim to check it properly this could be due to the rim being taken down to far or not enough off the area in front of the rim

Cost wise it was $40.00 plus $8.00 postage to my friend then international postage on top. I would return it but the cost just out weighs the worth, i'm very unsure about using it

Fatcat, if you still have some brass or wish to give me a price on making some please send me a pm

I mean no offense to Mr Schroeder but felt I had to let 5mm friends here know it just was'nt great

Johno
Old 06-01-2019, 01:39 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johno View Post
Well Gary I am not intending to insult the man but the quality was so poor I could not get the jaws of the measuring tool to close on the rim to check it properly this could be due to the rim being taken down to far or not enough off the area in front of the rim

Cost wise it was $40.00 plus $8.00 postage to my friend then international postage on top. I would return it but the cost just out weighs the worth, i'm very unsure about using it

Fatcat, if you still have some brass or wish to give me a price on making some please send me a pm

I mean no offense to Mr Schroeder but felt I had to let 5mm friends here know it just was'nt great

Johno
For heavens sake you should and are expected to share your opinions and experiences. No matter if it’s praise or criticism.

Sorry to hear about your poor experience. I suppose you can be grateful you only spent $48 +IS. I’d hate to guess how much I spent with him. And nothing but praise.

I lost tons of Beautiful nice looking original factory brass (some brand new, some I reloaded) to split necks expanded primer pockets (and some on my own doings). I could easily see why Brooks was wanting to sell this rifle to me, the percentage of brass I was losing was heartbreaking.

Then I found about Schroeder here on Saubier. The only cases I’ve ever lost of Schroeder case was to do the overpressures expand a primer pockets. And a couple didn’t fit the SH (Hornady’s SH fuxrd that). The only cases I’ve ever lost of Schroeder case was to do the over pressures expanded primer pockets. And a couple case mouths caught the decapping pin and folded it over. I was in heaven being able to shoot reload and not lose cases. They were very very functional and so much better than anything I’ve had before I was very grateful for him. And I have an order into him right now when he recovers and I didn’t even ask how much it was gonna cost I just trust the man that much.

Johno, I am kind of curious though what kind of problems were you having? I understand about the caliper issues but I mean what kind of issues was you having with the brass shooting it?

The only issue I had with my 5 mm brass was taking it out raccoon hunting at night and my cases would sling out so I couldn’t find them in the grass (I get pretty excited when them raccoons come charging in at night LOL) that’s when I decided rimfire 5 mm mag’s are pretty nice too

You’ll be extremely pleased with fat cats brass. It does everything Schroeder’s brass did for me plus it looks beautiful.

Edit- Not that’ll probably make any difference but fat cat sent me one piece of his brass that I reloaded over and over. So it’s like one piece of his brass compared to 400-500 pieces of Schroders brass.

Edit again- cleaned up some of the voice to text errors

Last edited by GLWenzl; 06-01-2019 at 05:30 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:58 AM
Supporting Member

Gary, here lies the rub, I have'nt fired any of the centre fire loads as yet
Its all been based on measurement and maybe i'm over thinking things due to the measurements.

Powder is a killer down here ive loaded 6grn of lil gun and will get to try them next week then i'll be looking at some ADI shot gun powders.

A little story for you, I picked up 10 boxes of the old white box rem ammo for $22.00 USD per box which was a good buy, then 10 boxes of Centurion a friend grabbed last night for me in N.Z, and I will have in two weeks, then a fella into casting got in touch and said two of the white box rem ammo he was going to pull and melt down but when he realized I could use them he gave them to me free, so really i'm good for ammo but the 5mm Schroeder has just pulled min like a rip out to sea

Johno
Old 06-01-2019, 05:23 AM
Supporting Member

That is so awesome! Someone is looking out for you! So I take it you have the Schroeder bolt conversion, in due time things will work out.

If there is anything you want me to measure or help with just let me know and I will if I can. The CF has been more accurate than my RFs (591 and the contender). But those RFs will stop a big ole raccoon in his tracks as well making for great fun when you line 3 PDs up and one bullet sends em cartwheeling in three directions. I’ve had so much fun and good memories with them! Wish the same for you!!

I stocked up on both types of centurion when it first came out. Laid out shooting for s few years cause of a bug busy family, work and then declining health. But recently getting back into again, completing old projects and starting new... I’m supposed to thinning the herd but a bull must of jumped the fence cause they multiplied faster than I can thin em. My latest is a factory 1960s H&R 22 Jet I couldn’t help but adopt the poor unwanted son of a gun.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:36 AM
Supporting Member

Yes Gary I have everything now, dies, bolt head, cases so looking forward to it.
You could offer to buy parts from the one ive put up in the classifieds If I could buy and use the bolt i'd have a quick change from RF to CF but I need to sell parts before I can commit to buy it, dollars are tight.

Would the H&R be a handi rifle> always thought one in 256 win would be nice

Johno
Old 06-01-2019, 04:19 PM
Supporting Member

Yes, I think it’s basically the same thing only older?? I’m
Very excited for it! Got hook on the 22 Jet about 2 years ago. Too bad I found out how much fun they are... another expense!
Old 06-01-2019, 04:53 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
My Schroeder brass arrived and like BCB said way back its very inconsistent, in fact its bad i'm concerned about head space. This goes to both rim thickness and diameter

Johno
I have no idea what I might have said "way back", but I've had my Schroeder conversion and brass since roughly 2000, and I still shoot it without any issues.

There is no doubt that the rifles are far from being the smoothest rifle actions, but with a bit of rapid bolt operation, it all works. I'm sure someone far more knowledgeable than me on the subject will come along and tell me it ain't so, but whatever.....

You might try shooting the brass before condemning it totally. Granted it's not the nicest looking stuff but all 500 rounds of my brass have worked just fine with several powder and bullet combinations over the years.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 06-01-2019 at 06:10 PM. Reason: spelling......................
Old 06-01-2019, 10:01 PM
Supporting Member

I was't condemning it I was making an observation exactly as you did on another forum my comments were an exact echo of yours. maybe dig out that old post, I suggest a nice crisp white to go with the humble pie

Johno
Old 06-02-2019, 03:30 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
I was't condemning it I was making an observation exactly as you did on another forum my comments were an exact echo of yours. maybe dig out that old post, I suggest a nice crisp white to go with the humble pie

Johno

I'll let you dig it up if it's that imporant. Go for it.......

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 06-02-2019, 03:48 AM
Supporting Member

Dang, have ya hidden it

I did look but can't find it for the life of me I do recall it was a once upon a time post it was that long ago but you were'nt happy about the rim thickness and diameter and the brass was just rough.

Hope to shoot it this coming week but again i'm stuck with lil gun which does'nt seem perfect

All good mate

Johno