Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2021, 07:40 PM
Supporting Member

Default CZ 527, 223 to 222

I have the opportunity to buy a 223 carbine but always preferred 222, I know the the bottom metal/trigger guard housing is different so is it as simple as swapping the the trigger guard housing, magazine and finding a take off 222 barrel?

I recall that ive read there is a slight difference in the action of the 223 & 204 to the shorter 222 if this is correct would it effect the function if I did the swap out

Thanks
Johno
Old 12-11-2021, 08:03 PM

I'm pretty sure there is a difference in the bottom metal between the Hornet, 223, and 7.62x39 rifles; but the action receivers are likely the same. I just spun on a 221 Fireball takeoff barrel onto a former 223 action, and all is well. Given the smaller difference between the 223 and 222, you should be fine.
Old 12-11-2021, 08:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

remember the cz 527 carbine stock was designed for open sights, some people like me have a hard time using a scope on them.
on the magazine i think the 222 and 223 are the same or at least would work.

actions are all the same length but do have bottom metal with different mag well openings.
Old 12-11-2021, 08:52 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks fella, i'm certain hornet, 221 & 222 are different from 223 & 204. From memory its the magazine opening and in the metal

Johnly was your 223 barrel 1-9" or 1-12" as the earlier ones were? did it shoot ok?

I have a scope on my 7.62x39 carbine and its fine though I would like to find one of those cheek riser things you can strap on

Johno
Old 12-11-2021, 09:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

that's the problem i had with mine.
Old 12-11-2021, 09:42 PM

I see Henry has a nice looking check riser attachment. It might do the trick on other stocks.
Old 12-11-2021, 10:07 PM

Though I much prefer a kydex adjustable cheek riser a lot of folks don't like the idea of drilling their stocks and I've used the neoprene slip on sleeves from Beartooth before and they actually work very well.

The Beartooth sleeve comes in multiple colors so they're hardly noticeable and with different thickness pads so you can taylor fit the height of them to suit your needs. For the price they're a good option. I put one on a CA Ridgeline recently and it has worked out well.

Finding a CZ 527 take off barrel chambered in 222 may not be all that easy. Give a call to James Calhoon he's a character to chat with so that alone is worth the call but he kind of specializes in all things CZ 527 and may have some take off barrels. It's been awhile since I've talked to James, hope he's doing well, but like I said he's a real character to chat with and I always enjoy those calls.
Old 12-11-2021, 10:47 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks for the tips, I bought two rifles from James a fantastic fella I am profoundly deaf but I did have an email address somewhere I used send to Kathy before she past.

Maybe a 1-12" take off 223 might be easier if anyone has let me know it would be posted to a US address

Johno
Old 12-12-2021, 06:22 AM

CZ did make a run of 222s at one point. That would be far cheaper in the long run than trying to rebarrel/rechamber a different caliber to 222. A quick search found one on gunbroker and gunauction.com. Howa also made a run of these a few years ago. I saw one that recently sold for $570 - I probably should have bought it myself. They’re out there if you are patient.

Last edited by ben lurkin; 12-12-2021 at 06:38 AM.
Old 12-12-2021, 08:03 AM
Supporting Member

Very few down here mate, I had one which I gave to my son in law lets just say guns are thicker than blood

Johno