Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-26-2022, 05:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter
Default lee collet die

your opinion on them and your experience.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:44 AM

I have one in most every caliber I shoot. I find less runout with them in some cases and consistent neck tension. As cheap as they are, I like having them on hand. The standard caliber dies also work with the Ackley Improved rounds I shoot. If you choose to use a standard die, the collet dies can be used as a mandrel die to expand necks. Hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:44 AM

They make great paper weights.

Good shootin' -Al
Old 04-26-2022, 12:40 PM

I’ve been using them since about 1980 and love them.
Old 04-26-2022, 01:25 PM
Supporting Member

good for semi auto's but don't feel there's a need for rounds that are loaded singley

ML
Old 04-26-2022, 04:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
They make great paper weights.

Good shootin' -Al
Al you got some splaining to do.
Old 04-26-2022, 05:07 PM

Have used the Lee collet die in several calibers and if you are into neck sizing, they do well.
Old 04-26-2022, 05:49 PM

I use them for neck sizing and have found them to turn out very consistent ammo. One thing that I have seen others who have issues with Lee Collet Dies do is to pick up a new case that has never been fired, run it through a Lee Collet Die and then measure the neck runout and/or bullet runout on a fixture that uses the case body to index off of. If they gauged a fired case AND their chamber is round and aligned with the throat of their chamber, and the flash hole is in the center of the case head, they would find that the neck runout and/or bullet runout is quite good.

The decap pin on the Lee Collet die enters the flash hole and then the neck of the case will be squeezed around the other end of the mandrel that holds the decap pin. IF the flash hole is centered in the case head, the neck will be aligned to the center of the case head. If the flash hole is off center the case neck will be aligned with the flash hole and also not be perpendicular to the case head.

As a general rule, ammo prepared in fired cases that have only been neck sized in a Lee Collet Die and the bullets seated using a Vickerman Seating Die has performed best in my rifles. Usually by a noticeable margin. There have been exceptions, I do have rifles that shoot better with cases that have been FL Sized. I get best results on them using a Redding Body Die and just bump the shoulder enough to gain a few thousandths clearance, and then will run them through a Lee Collet Die. Again there are exceptions, on some I get my best accuracy using a neck bushing shoulder bump die.

FWIW, I don't own or use a concentricity gauge. I judge the results on how the ammo shoots. Perhaps I am not getting everything out of my rifles they are capable of by not looking at concentricity, but I am getting what accuracy I need out of our rifles with the techniques I employ and in most cases significantly more than we need.

Last edited by JDHasty; 04-26-2022 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-26-2022, 08:45 PM
Supporting Member

I use them for Hornet and K-Hornet. Just don't get down on it without a case inserted and they do pretty well. I think they are especially good for consistent seating force when using unturned brass or brass with variations in neck thickness.
Old 04-26-2022, 09:16 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken158 View Post
Have used the Lee collet die in several calibers and if you are into neck sizing, they do well.
This ^^^^^^^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
I use them for Hornet and K-Hornet. Just don't get down on it without a case inserted and they do pretty well. I think they are especially good for consistent seating force when using unturned brass or brass with variations in neck thickness.
And this ^^^^^^^^^^^

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 04-26-2022 at 09:19 PM.