Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Big Game

Old 12-24-2014, 04:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter
Default deer with a handgun

or should i say hand cannon, shot a doe last night with my encore custom shop 6 br at 200 yards. the encore did it's job as it let the air out of her in short order. the 80 sierra singleshot pistol bullet did as is intended at 2910 fps .
nikon force 2.5x8 bdc also peformed as it should.
the deer are still breeding and there was a buck chasing her.
our late season here is antlerless only if you already killed a buck, which i did durring reg season.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:10 PM

Cool. I've killed a few with handguns but not a 6mm. Yet...

Aaron
Old 12-24-2014, 08:15 PM

Nice job. Congrats
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 12-24-2014, 08:37 PM
Supporting Member

Congrats on the kill Foxhunter! Now ya started a topic that get's my blood pumping! Mostly I'm a meat hunter at this point but when it comes to just hunting for hunting sake that is really enhanced using a handgun IMO. I do love sneaky foot'n around the mountains trying to get within handgun range of dinner! I've hunted with a handgun for many years (a scary number of years really) but it is a real gas!!
To that end, we have a "Pistol Smith" who worked for Hamilton Bowen for a number of years then moved back home to White Sulfur Springs Montana about 95 miles from here. Ben Forkin is a real deal Pistol Smith on Ruger Revolver overhauls and a guy that can do that is a real rare commodity indeed in this part of the world, he's also one truly nice guy! Scroll down the page on this excerpt taken from "American Handgunner" and check out some of Ben's creations (love them Bisley's but I'm sure they are above my pay-grade).
http://americanhandgunner.com/web-blast-i-gotta-be-me/

Ben took a Ruger Redhawk I near stole from a buddy selling stuff quick before his wife got back off vacation and apprehended him spending a fair chunk a change on a high end HK handgun and a real high end FAL rifle he was lusting for, (he's divorced now don't'cha know?). At any rate Ben has built the fixtures to square the action and true it beautifully! He also added a 6 1/2 inch Pac-Nor barrel, A flat backed Bowen rear sight and he made a thick front post for old guy eyeballs . Mine is a hunting piece not a show stopper like a lot he makes. It is hell for stout with an excellent trigger and it's far more accurate than I am. It's a .44 Mag and my hunting load is a hard-cast, gas-checked 290 grain BRP bullet that looks quite a bit like Kieth designed it. It clocks right near exactly 1,350FPS, it hits a ton and right where ya aim it.

This is the first deer I shot with it the year I got it back.

This is the last, took him at 72 yards with my back up against a tree and the pistol braced between my knees Kieth fashion. It went in behind his shoulder at .44 caliber then left the other side at about .45 and was on into the hillside well behind him. There's been a goodly number in between those two, as well as one coyote and a small buck antelope (now that hunt was a hoot!).

I'm a conventional handgun big game hunter but I do like scopes on varmint handguns.
By the way ole Bud, where the heck are the pictures???
All the best Amigo.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:38 PM
Administrator

I picked up a spr redhawk this summer. Shoulda used it this year. Heck...I coulda shot my buck with a bow. Also got a 7tcu contender that needs bloodied. Been meaning to do that too.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:01 PM
Supporting Member

Congratulations Foxhunter! I sure do like the single shot pistols.
Indiana started handgun season for deer in 1987, never hunted deer before then, every one since has been with a Contender.....
Tom
Old 01-16-2015, 07:16 AM

Hello all. Im new here, but have read topics on this forum for a long time now. Great to be here with you all. Congrats to everyone on some great handgun harvested animals. Amazing shots
Figured Id make my first post on this topic cuz I really want to get into handgun hunting for the extra challenge it presents. Ive killed so many animals with a rifle, that I want to take it up a notch. So here's a tid bit on the gun I intend to use and a bit of testing I've done.

The gun I want to use is a Taurus Raging Bull 44 Mag with the 8 3/8" barrel that I bought a few years back just for this reason. Was planning on using it for river bottom does this last season, but just didn't work out with my free time. Love my Taurus. The trigger when the hammer is cocked is as nice as any gun out there and it's ridiculously accurate with the 300gr Hornady XTPs I use. I was messing a round one day sighting in a rifle at 100 yards and decided to try my 44 Mag at that distance since I happened to have it with me. Farthest I had shot it up til then was 50 yards and all though it grouped very well at 50, I wasn't expecting much accuracy at 100 yards being that it is a handgun and has open steel sights. So I rested it on some sand bags to get a good solid rest then took aim. The front sight was covering up about a 4" to 5" area on the center of the target at that distance, but I figured id try it anyway. I squeezed off two rounds. The dust cloud from htting the dirt beind the target was massive, so I could tell there was still a lot of energy at that range. I went up and found my 2 holes. One hit the top of the plywood, and one hit the top of the target paper, but they were less than 3" apart. So I thought it may be a fluke and I got lucky. So I adjusted the rear sight down two clicks and took extra careful aim as I squeezed off 3 more rounds. When I got to the target I was completely amazed and knew the last two shots were no fluke. All three shots were in the center of the target with a greatest spread of only 2.5". I can't wait to get this thing out hunting! You guys got me all pumped up now

Last edited by Ledd Slinger; 01-16-2015 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:52 PM

Raging Bulls -- do they come with wheels, or are they optional?

Seriously, jus' strokin' ya a bit.

Welcome aboard, hope you don't possess a thin skin!
Old 01-18-2015, 04:52 AM

If by wheels you are referring to weight, my gun does have some heft. But it balanced so well from the position and form of the grip that aim is very steady off-hand. I wouldn't hesitate to take a shot at a deer up to 50 yards off hand. It's that steady when aiming.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:20 AM

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves, but if you have any questions, just ask!

Dan Wesson 445 Super Mag...

Ruger Supreme Hunter II 44 magnum...

Ruger Supreme Hunter 44 magnum

All 3 handguns have taken deer, coyote, bear, elk, antelope, javelina, mule deer and several other verities of both edible and non-edible "targets"....

Last edited by DAVID; 01-29-2015 at 01:27 AM.