Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-29-2015, 01:24 AM
Supporting Member

Default What's the deal with the 5.7x28

I never really kept up with the 5.7x28 and realize it has a weak case. But as the original 5.7 is it s good round. Is it realistic to get decent reloads from that case? I supose it functions fine through an auto loader?? Thsnks in advance!
Old 01-29-2015, 04:32 AM
Supporting Member

Did you see that on the site we were discussing earlier on the phone? If so, I saw it too and was intrigued!

Eric
Old 01-29-2015, 08:59 AM
Supporting Member

Yes and I have brass but don't know if it's worth messing with.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
I never really kept up with the 5.7x28 and realize it has a weak case. But as the original 5.7 is it s good round. Is it realistic to get decent reloads from that case? I supose it functions fine through an auto loader?? Thsnks in advance!
Spill the beans for the rest of us!
Did FN do a p!$$ poor job designing that sucker?
Old 01-29-2015, 06:30 PM
Supporting Member

GL Wenzl

From what I have learned/found with this case after designing/building the 17-20 and 22 Kitfox case and reamer on the 5.7 case for the 590 series of rifles, is the following,
OEM case,
Case is designed for 50,000psi,
OEM design, one time use,
Plastic Coated case,
Blow back/non locked breech design of OEM weapons, which means the case shoulder and neck length will be ANYWARE in dimension lengths, (I bought a 1000 rds once fired and measured several hundred cases for their dimensions), there was NO standard to be found.

Case head .307" is the weak spot, put a small rifle primer .175", then SUBTRACT to extraction groove dimensions from the .307" and there is not a lot of BRASS remaining for the psi levels this case runs at etc.

As Paul and I found out, for his 20 cal case, when using this case, get your brass first, then MEASURE the dimensions of the case head, then have your reamer ground for the exact dimension, or -.001/.002" smaller, you want a tight fit on the case head/base etc as possible. You can easly polish out the slight amount needed in the chamber to fit the die set you are using, to enough just resize the case to fit your reamer/chamber spec's etc.

The PTG reamer worked perfectly,
I don't get expanded primer pockets with NORMAL safe/sane loads of 50,000 or lower psi level in all of my cases designed, (have not shot the 20 cal, as I don't like that cal for some reason). Have a weapon action design that has a full length chamber dimensions that DOES NOT have the case head being UNSUPPORTED ON THE SIDES OR HEAD.

I removed the plastic coating with the SS tumbling pins, as the coating will wear/flake off anyway, and is not needed in a BA type weapon design.

I am very pleased with this case for what I wanted to do with it, a RELOADABLE RF case with better than the 17 Cal OEM designed RIMFIRE cases available, is cheaper to shoot than the RF cases, better ballistics all the way around with all bullet weights, I DON'T have the newest 17 WSM RF case yet, thoughts still pending on this case.

YMMV,

Tia,
Don
It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for their actions."
Ronald Reagan
Old 01-29-2015, 11:57 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks a bunch Don, that is some awesome info! It sounds like in a factory blowback design it may not have much reloadable case life... (I'm looking at the pistol)

As you are aware Don, I'm use to working with weak case heads as in the 17CCM and realize this round may be potentially weaker (I forget what ccm pressures are.

Just a impulsive itch I just happen to have. Dealer cost on it probably has something to do with it.. Some once fired brass... And of course an addiction to smaller cases and reloading. The choice of bullets and maybe using it for hunting (I can justify about anything for something I don't need)

You know anything about 22tcm? A local guy at work has a NIB rock island arms 1911 with 250 rounds of ammo for $650.

Last edited by GLWenzl; 01-30-2015 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:12 AM
Supporting Member

GL,

I have over 10+ reloads on the 17 KitFox chamber, 17gr @ 3200fps +, 18" bbl. 22 cal KF is almost the same for reloading. But, I have tight chamber spec's to fit the brass/chamber etc. As far as the neck/shoulder being blown forward to all different spec's, (OEM designed weapons) this does not seem to hurt the case life, ONCE you have the proper dimensions and can live with within the case limitations etc.

I would not let the case limitations/spec's steer you away from this case, It is one DEADLY small case and pleasure to reload and shoot as several yeller dogs found out when trying to get my OLD house cat that catches gophers in the hay field around the ranch. Better than ANY RF case I have played with, with better performance and cheaper to shoot etc. 1S1K out to 200+ yds so far, makes BLACK Rainbows of Starling/Magpies stealing the dog food plus a couple of badgers from the neighbors fields etc.

FYI, the 17/22 CCM case is spec'd at 43500 PSP values, same as the 22 Hornet case.

I am working on the 22 TCM case, 38000 OEM psi, as we speak, can be made from 223 case (Tons of brass around) without to much work, plus a very common case for the actions available, PSI values will be the same as the 223 case, 62000 PSI values.

Per QL spec's, a 17 Pigmy (TCM) (my designed case) with 17gr is at 3800/4000+fps using 12 grs of go power, w/19" bbl, at 48000psi levels. I have just the action for this case and I have to find some cases to spec out/research to see what the final outcome will be.

IMHO, knowing what I know now, about this case,
I would go with the 22 TCM/223 case, as this is my next small caliber for the 17-20 and 22 calibers for an all purpose around the ranch/truck gun in the smallest rifle etc.

Tia,
Don
It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for their actions."
Ronald Reagan
Old 01-31-2015, 01:12 AM

Default latest issue of Varmint Hunter

George,

There is an article in the latest issue of Varmint Hunter magazine on the 5.7x28 as a varmint rifle. If you don't get the magazine I will send you a copy of the article.

Glenn Burroughs
Old 01-31-2015, 03:44 AM
Supporting Member

dang! Just brought home that tcm!!! Why do I feel like I'm out of the frying pan and into the fire??? If I read this article am I going to have both now? Lol I'd love s coy of it if you still have my email!
Old 02-01-2015, 07:30 PM
Supporting Member

Hey GL,

What's the verdict on that 22 TCM????

Spill the beans.........

I am waiting.

Tia,
Don
Ronald Reagan