Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-28-2010, 08:34 AM

Default 20 ah

Hi mudgegonga! Who is doing your barrel work? regards Larrylong123 in Central Victoria.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:42 PM

I use Shane Clancy. Shane is the resident gunsmith on ausvarmint.com.au if you want to check out his work and reputation. Shane is also in high demand from those that shoot paper etc. so don't expect quick turn arounds. But patience is rewarded.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:01 AM

Hey TOU, know where 2 of those Brno #1's are?

When they call the roll in the Senate," "the Senators do not know whether to answer "Present" or "Not guilty." -- Theodore Roosevelt
Old 04-29-2010, 07:32 AM

Default Zkw 465

I put a deposit on a 1970`s vintage Brno Hornet yesterday.My plan is for a 17 Ackley.But Iam keen to here your results.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:50 AM
Supporting Member

I was really happy with my 19 Calhoon Hornet, been trying to find my old loads for the 32grn bullets, but buggered if I can. They should be interchangeable with the 20.

But it was 2207 that worked best, i'm thinking 11,3grn but DON'T use this until I can check

cheers
John
Old 04-29-2010, 12:49 PM

Part hyjack sorry. Can someone tell me how long the production run was/is for CZ BRNO 527 hornet? and is there a way to tell a rifles age from the serial number? Just been offered a 527 H for £250 and was thinking to do a 17 AH with it, but iv'e been a little concerned by some peoples experience with forming and feeding. Is it worth the effort? TIA,Ken. PS. Adam, do you know the shortest barrel length for a full burn in 17ah? I like 20" barrels but my 17FB only does 3600 with factory 20gr vmax. Thanks again.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:36 PM

I've got a 24" shilen barrel for my 17 Ackley hornet and I'm running the 20 grain vmax bullets right around 3800 fps with 12.0 grains of N-120 and BR-4 primers.

Good hunting Chad
Old 01-13-2015, 05:51 PM

Default loads for 20 ack hornet

Hi there, I am fairly new to this web site so please bear with me. I noticed there was a bit of discussion about loads for the 20 Ack Hornet. I will tell you what I have been using and you can decide from there.

About a year ago I was able to find a BRNO ZKW 465 action (no barrel) at a gun show for a reasonable price. I sent it up to a friend of mine who makes rifle barrels (Gaillard Barrels) up here in Canada. I asked him to put a 20 Ack Hornet barrel on it. It is a No.3 taper at 22 inches. We had a bit of a chat about what to do about a recoil lug since the 465 doesn't have one. After talking with another gun smith (Grant Schick) who has put together a number of 465 guns we all agreed that installing a Remington style recoil lug would be the way to go. Ted made one up from a piece of barrel blank he had. After ordering a reamer and waiting for its arrival the barrelled action arrived. I should mention that Ted also blueprinted the action. Kind of foolish to go to the effort of making a custom recoil lug without having the rest of the action worked on.
I traded a scope for a piece of walnut that had been sitting in a guys basement for 20 years. I whittled a stock and glass bedded the action. Since this was a 'walk about' gopher gun I didn't need lots of scope power so I put a Bushnell 3X9 BDC600 on it. After running some brass thru a set of dies and fire forming I started working up a load. I have been using IMR 4227 with Fed 205 primers. I am using Sierra 32 gr Blitzking bullets. I started off with a load of 11.7 grains and worked up to 13.5 grains. The OAL was 1.915 inches. I ended up at a velocity of 3237 fps. I was quite pleased with the performance as I was getting 0.45 inch 5 shot groups (Average of 5 groups). Might be able to squeeze a bit more out of the gun but I think that that is all I need to shoot gopher out to 200 yards. I did try it out on a few gophers and it fully met my expectations. Basically no recoil and you can watch the results of your shot thru the scope.

I highly recommend the BRNO ZKW 465 action if you can get ahold of one.

regards

kim
Old 01-14-2015, 02:57 AM

Agree with Bentley. 26" is way loooong.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:54 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjunek View Post
About a year ago I was able to find a BRNO ZKW 465 action (no barrel) at a gun show for a reasonable price.
Welcome!

I LOVE Brno's...really anything Czech but especially Brno's. I have a few) including a pretty nice OEM 465 specimen...love it! BTW I partially grew up in Alberta, south of Lethbridge & it is where I started my Brno affliction. As I'm a bit of a collector, I have a real hard time with trashing what is one of the best, IMHO, small caliber actions of all time. So like you...I have been looking for a reasonably priced 465 action or beater for some time to build either a .20 or 17 HH. Much tougher to come by reasonably priced, here in the States...spare magazines are even tougher. (I bought one out of Sweden & one out of OZ.)

Quote:
I sent it up to a friend of mine who makes rifle barrels (Gaillard Barrels) up here in Canada. I asked him to put a 20 Ack Hornet barrel on it. It is a No.3 taper at 22 inches. We had a bit of a chat about what to do about a recoil lug since the 465 doesn't have one. After talking with another gun smith (Grant Schick) who has put together a number of 465 guns we all agreed that installing a Remington style recoil lug would be the way to go. Ted made one up from a piece of barrel blank he had. After ordering a reamer and waiting for its arrival the barrelled action arrived. I should mention that Ted also blueprinted the action. Kind of foolish to go to the effort of making a custom recoil lug without having the rest of the action worked on.

I traded a scope for a piece of walnut that had been sitting in a guys basement for 20 years. I whittled a stock and glass bedded the action.
Sounds like a really beautiful rifle...I look forward to seeing some pictures.

Quote:
Since this was a 'walk about' gopher gun I didn't need lots of scope power so I put a Bushnell 3X9 BDC600 on it. After running some brass thru a set of dies and fire forming I started working up a load. I have been using IMR 4227 with Fed 205 primers. I am using Sierra 32 gr Blitzking bullets. I started off with a load of 11.7 grains and worked up to 13.5 grains. The OAL was 1.915 inches. I ended up at a velocity of 3237 fps. I was quite pleased with the performance as I was getting 0.45 inch 5 shot groups (Average of 5 groups). Might be able to squeeze a bit more out of the gun but I think that that is all I need to shoot gopher out to 200 yards. I did try it out on a few gophers and it fully met my expectations. Basically no recoil and you can watch the results of your shot thru the scope.
What a great rig...I really think the classic feel of this amazing rifle also makes it one of the best walk-abouts of all time...kinda like a a Brno#1's older teen-brother. It's hard to explain to anyone who has never held either of these rifles but there is something amazing about how they look, feel and balance...they shoot pretty dang good as well!

Quote:
I highly recommend the BRNO ZKW 465 action if you can get ahold of one.
Amen Brno-Brother...amen!

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO