Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 05-06-2023, 09:44 PM

Default .22 air gun slugs and small charges.

Good afternoon gentlemen,

I just got back from a range trip to the local lead trap, trying out a new idea.

Only tested the Nielsen .218 31.2 gr air gun slugs over 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4 grains of Clays.
Primer WSR
Case Win. .22 Hornet
Lubed with silicon grease.
Rifle was a H&R single shot.

1.4 put 5 into a bug hole at 50 yards and was just this side of subsonic. The others were around an inch.

I might be on to something.
Old 05-08-2023, 12:37 AM

That sounds fun! With the cost of primers now, it might not be as fun as it used to be. I wonder if you could paper patch them?
Old 05-15-2023, 01:18 AM

Default I have a few questions for you find folks.

I’m beginning to wonder how much luck played in my last outing with this experiment? .219 33 gr. Zan slugs shoot like crap. or 4.5 inches at 50 yards. Same loads of clays. 1.4 went supersonic this time.

The smaller lighter slugs shot better. I wonder if the are not expanding to seal the bore and find center. I would think the cup base would be a little more forgiving.

More next weekend.

PS Happy Mother’s Day
Old 05-15-2023, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20-250ai View Post
I’m beginning to wonder how much luck played in my last outing with this experiment? .219 33 gr. Zan slugs shoot like crap. or 4.5 inches at 50 yards. Same loads of clays. 1.4 went supersonic this time.

The smaller lighter slugs shot better. I wonder if the are not expanding to seal the bore and find center. I would think the cup base would be a little more forgiving.

More next weekend.

PS Happy Mother’s Day
Just a thought but you did use a filler, right ? to hold the small amount of powder down to the base.
Old 05-15-2023, 04:25 AM

Default For Clays and Red dot

Hi Bill,
I’m using Clays and or Red dot powders because they will burn in large cases and “normally” are not to sensitive to case size, location and density.
No wads, papers or fillers for this guy after an incident involving the crown of a very expensive gun.

I understand that many do and will continue to do so.

My goal is to see if I can make an accurate small game load or plinking load.

The last weeks range trip I truly thought I was on to something. This last one has me rethinking my approach to the issues.

Paper patching might be an ideal solution, I’ll have to see if I have dies.

The whole idea is to try and make another primer powered pellet load for use “around the house” only we now have air gun slugs to work with.

Wish they made some in .224 or .2245

Anyhow just a guy goofing off with a hair brained idea. I could always go back to shotgun primers and pellets, if shotgun primers were available and cheap. Now they are neither.
Old 05-16-2023, 12:38 AM

There actually is a company that sells .224 40 grain lead bullets, but i dont remember who it is. With a Lee size die, you could take a .250 slug and size down to .224, that would be my choice I guess. Now that I have PCP's, it kind of defeats the purpose.
Old 05-16-2023, 02:51 AM

Moorepower,

Yeah, I’m seriously considering having to get a PCP for this is just a little too inconsistent for my needs. Unfortunately, this was going to translate into a lead free operation but I am thinking that might also be a PCP idea. Anyhow, thanks for your concerns and input. Really appreciate this great group of people.

PS IF I do come up with an Idea that works along this line I’ll post my hideous results for all of you to observe. and scrutinize.

Stay awesome.
Old 05-29-2023, 10:19 AM

20-25ai,
Which case did you use when using 209 primers and pellets?
Thanks,Ken.
Old 12-02-2023, 10:46 PM

I currently have 3 .25 cal. PCP's that put 5 waisted pellets into .5" and slightly tighter at 55 yards from a rest. 2 of them shoot the same JSA Hades pellets. The other, a Turkish Aselkon requires 33,95gr. JSB's.
The Texas made Condor is running 1,070fps with them & I was 'plinking' 2" rocks at 118 yards with it. Having 1/2 mil. dot slashes in the reticle helps with longer range "pellet" shooting.
I also have a 51gr. mould for it, but still experimenting with power settings with those. I moly coat them with Lyman's spray product.
Old 12-04-2023, 03:50 AM

Default Lower loads

Low loads

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ow-can-you-go&