Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-20-2009, 07:00 PM

Default OT: Wipe-Out

Anybody ever get a rusty colored patch when using this stuff? I recently inherited a Win 88 and started to give it a good cleaning on Friday...four days later and 6 applications of Wipe-Out and I'm still getting reddish brown patches after a good soak. In between the Wipe-Out I've also tried JB and Iosso bore pastes, and brushed and patched it thoroughly with Butches. I realize that the paste type cleaners turn a patch black but I get no color at all with the Butches. I tried calling the mfg, but no one picks up...must be at the shot show. Wish I owned a bore scope.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Supporting Member

I am going to say it is your barrel, I have been using Patch Out/ Wipe out for over two years now and nothing ever close to what you're talking about has happened, I also know and fully believe in Murphy's Law, so it might be the Product. Just my two cents.
________
Marijuana rehab forums
________
Hurt from wellbutrin

Last edited by ab_bentley; 09-10-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:07 AM
Supporting Member

Default Sounds like rust in the barrel to me.

Sounds like rust in the barrel to me.
Have tried useing that can of Wipe-Out on other barrels. If you get the same brown color you can bet on the Wipe-Out being the culprit. Other wise it sounds like rust in your barrel to me.
I never buy a gun with out checking it out with my Hawkeye since I purchased it 5 years ago.
Larry
Old 01-21-2009, 03:17 AM
Supporting Member

Default I ordered some W. O.

About a month ago, but never have received it. Tired to call but no answer.

Suppose they folded up???

tx al
Old 01-21-2009, 03:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

when copper is left in the barrel moisture can get under the plating and rust will form. normal cleaning will not remove the copper but when wipe out removes (disolves) the copper you will get a rusty patch.

bob
Old 01-21-2009, 03:31 AM

Default wipeout

I've never had reddish color on my patches...and would say its from your barrel.
I've been using wipe out for last 6 months...no more brushing.
Great stuff...easy to use...but not cheap !
Old 01-21-2009, 09:50 AM

Default Wipe out

Thanks Fellows, that's what I feared. I bought 3 cans of the stuff probably 5 years ago and this was the last can that I had left. Haven't tried this particular can on any other rifles yet but will do so tonight. Hopefully it's a shelf life issue but my luck being what it is...

What I don't get is if it is rust in the bore, I'd think that brushing and patching with Butches would show the same color, but it doesn't.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:49 AM
Supporting Member

I had a the same thing happen with Butches Bore Shine on a used Sako off the internet. I was afraid the barrel would not shoot after seeing all the rust came out. I did not have a bore scope so I went ahead and loaded up some 222 ammo. The little light weight gun will shoot 3/4" all day long. Not great, but there is still hope for your barrel.