Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2010, 12:42 PM

I bought a hornandy 270 die set a while ago. I like the locking mechanism, but when you are using balistic tips they get stuck on the end of the seating die and pull it out of the locator (sorry about the poor description - but suffice to say, I will not be buying again).

I also have some RCBS but they have a poor locking mechanism.

I now buy the redding standard dies and even though they are a fair bit dearer in Australia than the others, I think they are worth the extra money.

Cheers
Davo
Old 06-18-2010, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Default hi Mike

Hi Mike...good to see you posting.

I usually use RCBS, since I get them for cost at the shop and we can't get Redding. I do have 1 set of Redding dies for my 243 and love them, but they are more expensive. I usually don't have a problem with RCBS, but I just found out last night, my 17FB RCBS dies have a horrible expander ball assembly. The 17's don't use a removable expander ball like other calibers, it's a one-piece machined part with the ball just a bump turned onto the rod. Mine was REALLY rough turned. It is causing me to stretch the necks out when the ball pulls out of the case. Lots of inside neck lube and polishing the expander ball helped. Just something to consider if you need anything 17 sized.

Hope you can make the shoot in August at Thurmont. It's the weekend of the 7-8th.

Charlie
Old 06-18-2010, 01:03 PM

If I am buying new today, I get a Redding "S" bushing F/L die and a Wilson inline seater ( they take a Arbor press). The bushing limits the amount of neck sizing, you pick what you want. Standard dies size the neck way down (0.020" or better), Then you do not pull a expander ball back thru, streching the necks. This can also lead the neck bending ( bad runout). The bushing die are the way to go. They cost a little but are worth it. Foster makes bushing die, but the bushing are different from Wilson and Redding, so my current bushing want fit the Foster's. If you start out with Foster's they would be fine.

If Wilson does not make a seater, then I like Hornaday or Foster type seater.

Mark Schronce
Old 06-18-2010, 03:07 PM
Supporting Member

Default Dies

I own all the afore mentioned dies and lean to the one that's more applicable to what I need, ie bushing versus Neck or FL. I use a comparator on all my ammo and don't see any trend towards one brand or the other as to sizing straight ammo. My Wilson seaters seat the straightest ammo with the Hornady sleeved seaters being right behind them, but other than ammo I compete with they all do a pretty good job. Some things about the specific brands. I hate the round lock nut on the Reddings, if you buy RCBS you shouldn't ever have to buy parts that get damaged, even if it's your fault. Send them an email with an address asking about buying the part and whammo, it shows up in your mail box. Best warranty bar none. I bought a set of dies from a Saubier regular here, he described them as "bent stem, cracked lock nut, missing seating stem lock nut, and generally not taken very good care of". Emailed RCBS with a list of stuff and received it in the mail in about a week.
I have some Lee sets, they work well just not a lot of stuff for the off the wall chamberings, nor any form dies. CH4D, average, too may sharp edges, like they weren't finished.

Last edited by Chuck Miller; 06-18-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:12 PM

Heres what the last set of RCBS dies (new) I ever bought did to new unprimed 17FB brass.

After some issues with another set of them in 223, no more. Redding is all I buy now.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:58 PM
Supporting Member

Default 1000 words

Just like the last post, a picture is worth a 1000 words. Heres 2000+ words.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:59 PM

For the .220 Swift, .218Bee, .22 Hornet, Hornady worked wonderfully for me. My .218Bee Redding die seats all my .17AH bullets now but I do use a Wilson and Arbor press for sizing them.
I will not buy any more RCBS dies - hate their crookedness. I've got about 6 sets of Hornady dies now and do appreciate their work. For me, the Lee dies have been good, as have Lyman as well.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:06 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpbill56 View Post
Just like the last post, a picture is worth a 1000 words. Heres 2000+ words.

Will you be my friend?