Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 11:40 AM

Default OT: Reloading bench lighting

Getting ready to start on my boys room. What type of lighting would be best over the bench? Incandesent or flouresent? I seem to recall that one type will cause interference with digital scales. Probably end up with a bench in the neighborhood of 7' and want plenty of good lighting.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:50 PM

Mike, It's true, I had trouble with a digital and flourescent lighting. The scale has the IR port for the electronic powder thrower. I ended up putting a couple small stickers over the receiver the scale quit wandering.

I do like to work under flourescent... A cardboard tube or shield would probably do the trick if one wanted to use the thrower/scale combo.

jh
Old 02-02-2007, 01:12 PM
Supporting Member

I use a ring flourescent with a 5" magnifier in the center. Sure is handy for older eyes. You might want to put a small UPS on the scale, cuts the line noise and protects against power hits.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:33 PM

I have two 4' double tube flourescent fixtures over my bench in the garage. One runs the length of the bench directly over head and slightly forward and the other is turned 90 to the bench and off to the right hand side. I need to add one to the left side to completly eliminate the shadows but the setup works better than the 60 watt bulb and several floor lamps I had before.

I tried the 6000 deg temperature bulbs. They are very white to the point of being blue and cast an unpleasent light. I replaced them with the common kitchen and bath color of 3500 (more yellow) and am much happier. That was a 12 dollar mistake for the first set of bulbs.

The fixtures run about 16 each at the home store, are easy to wire and mount.

-Mark
Old 02-02-2007, 05:28 PM
Supporting Member

Yep! I use florescent tubes also. I have three 4 foot fixtures (shop lights, read cheap) hanging on about a foot of chain down from my 8’ ceilings in a very small converted bedroom. I’ve never noticed any problems with either 3 of my electronics measures. Even the RCBS IR unit with powder thrower has been trouble free and I have taken no precautions to shield it. I guess I’m just lucky. Man that would be way out of character for me.
Larry
Old 02-02-2007, 09:03 PM

Flouresent it'll be then and probably one of those magnifiers Ray was talking about. I've needed bifocals for several years now...to proud to wear them. Thanks to all.