Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-14-2013, 03:29 PM
Supporting Member

Good point Chuck

I suspected that the Contender in my situation may have a strong firing pin spring and the pin was still extended while the pressure spike occured, but changing to the 7 1/2 fixed the problem. I sold that barrel, and have my 22 KH on my other Contender frame.

I use primer flatness as a guide to pressures ( along with web expansion and velocity) so I was very confused when I saw the cavern of these primers. It resembled taking a fired case and using it as a snap cap several times.

Allen
Old 07-14-2013, 06:46 PM

On my Ruger 77/h based 17A/H I use 6.1/2,s small rifle or 400 small rifle if i use 7.1/2,s or 450,s i get missfires but they always fire if i try a second time but i have never had even one missfire,s with the standard none magnum primers.
Wally
Old 07-15-2013, 12:46 AM

Yes, that is because of the thickness of the primer cups. Larry
Old 07-15-2013, 02:31 PM

In the AH, I've had great luck with Fed 205 and 205M's, Rem 7 1/2M as well as WSR primers and CCI BR4's. I have had less than stellar accuracy from CCI400's for some reason - doesn't figure, but that's that. I've not had any dished primers.
I can visualize a dished primer happening only if the pressures are quite low and the firing pin blow is hard.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:06 PM
Supporting Member

Default concave primers

Of all the wildcats I shoot I have 2 that consistently have concave primers. They both share some interesting characteristics. Both are 17's and both are wildcats based on a shortened donor case. The 17 Squirrel(shortened Hornet case) and the 17 Spartan(shortened .200 17 Fireball case). At first my thoughts were it was the Martini action on the 17 Squirrel but the 17 Spartan is based on a CZ 527 action. The Spartan was built by Kevin Weaver and the headspace is tight, the way you want it. The Squirrel, smith unknown measures right at 4 thou of headspace.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:34 PM

Daryl, I follow your line of thinking but my top velocities are running around 3350 witch is pretty much in line with the max velos I've seen written by Tom Moore and Todd Kindler so I've got a hard time seeing it as a light load. I had been seeing the same goofy looking primers with 296 which is why I tried Enforcer in the first place (it just turned out that Enforcer showed better groups). I believe Gary W. had the same problem and switching to Enforcer solved his problem but I can't find his original post. Might have been on the old board.

Chuck, I'm about to call it voodoo too and just shoot them but I would like to know why this occurs. There's gotta be a reason. I snoozed on Charlies offer on the CCIs but I'll get with him before the weekend and see if they make any difference and report back. Makes me a bit hinky on posting anymore load / chrono readings when my primers look like soup bowls. Thanks to all that replied.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:39 PM
Administrator

I'm at the shop Tues and Thurs 4-6. Home every other day by 4. Offers still there.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:43 AM
Supporting Member

Your correct, when I get time I may go back an tvd look for it. Probably been pointed ago then I remember.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:20 AM

I get primers like your describing when I use pistol primers and trailboss in my 17AH

Aaron
Old 07-16-2013, 04:32 PM

I just started working with my 17 HH ; with RP 61/2 's all my primers are dished.
I notice this with 22 H as well.
No low pressure -- I am getting 3680 with the 17 using LG.
Am going to try diff. primer next.