Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 06-27-2012, 01:11 PM

Default 22 Hornet/45gn hornady Hornet #2230

I ordered a couple of hundred of the Subject bullets on spec'. Turned out, now I have them, not to have been a good idea. I'm going to see if I can load some magazine fed rounds for my shooting buddy - we may just make it in his Anschutz Hornet, but there's no way that is going to be possible with the shorter mag' on my Weihrauch.

Using Lil'Gun, has anyone any ideas for these in my Ruger #1? I was wondering if it would be possible to match the ME of the 50gn SPSX - 870ft/lbs (2800 ft/sec)(this uses 12.6gns of powder) - that I'm currently using. Obviously, I'd be looking for 2950 ft/sec.

Any thoughts, Guys?

Cheers,
Rigger
Old 06-27-2012, 05:42 PM

Default 22 Hornet

I don't think you'll get that kind of velocity with Lil-Gun and a 45gr. bullet , and putting that load into a rear lug Anschutz is just asking for trouble , but then every rifle is different ! Your Ruger No. 1 on the other hand could handle that load and the seating depth would not be an issue in that firearm . If you're getting 2800 with the 50's , then the same load should be faster in the NO.1 . With high end loads there is still a lot of case strecthing and head separations are not uncommon after a few loadings . RWS brass is much better than Rem or Win , if you can get your hands on it .

Last edited by L Cazador; 06-27-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:28 PM

Many thanks.

This will only be for the Ruger as is the existing 50 gn. The Anschutz will be positively docile in comparison as is the existing Weihrauch load to which the Anschutz equates but having a longer barrel it 's a tad quicker. The plan (now looking doubtful) for buddy was to leave everything as it is with a 45 gn Speer Spitzer and just rely on the better Hornady BC for a little improvement down range.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:52 PM
Supporting Member

Hogdon's load data shows Lil'Gun and a 30, 35, 40, 45, 50 and 55 grain bullets all show max load of 13 grains using WW cases, and WW small rifle primers. That max is because that is all the case will hold. If you check the measured pressures, they are all lower than any other powder, and the velocities for 40 grain and above are the highest listed. All that goes up as bullet weight increases is the pressure and muzzle velocity drops a bit.

I use this powder in 6 hornets, and 12.6 grains, WW case, Fed small pistol primer with 40 grain BKs or 50 SPSX are deadly on gophers. Hogdon's velocities are a Little conservative but you aren't going to get a 50 grain bullet doing 2950 out of any hornet I have ever seen. I you can get to 2850 you are doing super.

P.S. My Anschutz Hornet shot 12.6 grains with 40 or 50 grain bullets with absolutely no issues and great accuracy.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:19 PM

Many thanks.
As the 45gn Hornady Hornet won't fit in my Weihrauch magazine and, now, we've decided not to bother trying them in my friend's Anschutz, the last remaining option is to use them in my Ruger. What I was wondering is, is there any possibility that I can match the ME (870ft/lbs) of my 50gn SPSX load with the 45 gn Hornadys. To achieve the ME just given, the MV equates to 2800ft/sec and all is well with this. Obviously to equal the 870 ft/lbs with the 45gn, the MV required is 2950ft/sec.
I'll give it a work up but don't have my press just at the moment and was just looking for gut feelings.
Cheers,
Rigger