Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-19-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilA. View Post
How about going with a LabRadar Doppler chronograph?
I'd have seriously considered one instead of the MagnetoSpeed except that they are only good to about 3900 fps. Almost nothing I use regularly goes that slow. Renders the LabRadar essentially useless to me. If you don't shoot anything over that, they look pretty neat.

- DAA
Old 03-19-2018, 04:00 PM

As DAA says...You need the V3 if using a moderator, and, they effect both group size/shape and POI.
So you really can’t do load development for group size and muzzle velocity together.

LabRadar is good because it tracks the bullet to the target, so get more useful info from it.
Ken.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:36 PM

I've used my Sporter on barrels over 1" diameter with no problems. Also, for me it is not a problem setting up for different barrels. I mean, they send 2 different spacers, how long does it take to figure out which spacer you need? It catches every shot...If you make the unit is on tight before each shot. Honestly, the unit coming loose, (not all the time) is the only thing I can find wrong with the Sporter.

This link is a good video on the Sporter https://youtu.be/5yeseE5RACE
Old 03-19-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAA View Post
I'd have seriously considered one instead of the MagnetoSpeed except that they are only good to about 3900 fps. Almost nothing I use regularly goes that slow. Renders the LabRadar essentially useless to me. If you don't shoot anything over that, they look pretty neat.

- DAA
I didn’t know that, I was wondering why it didn’t work with another guys rifle at the range once- good info. Thank you. Hopefully they’ll improve on that eventually.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyswatter View Post
Also, for me it is not a problem setting up for different barrels. I mean, they send 2 different spacers, how long does it take to figure out which spacer you need?[/url]
The V3 comes with three of one kind spacer and two of another which are all stackable so make a bunch of combinations possible. I guess I'm just slow and dumb, but going from a pencil barrel to a 1,5" barrel takes me a few minutes to figure out.

The chrony was/is better in some ways, for sure.

- DAA
Old 03-19-2018, 11:37 PM
Supporting Member

Not sure if some of these newer type chronographs work with calibers smaller than .22 either.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:23 AM

I'm a bit of a chronograph junky.....

In the mid 90's I had a Shooting Chrony, and did just that, shot it.

Picked up a used Oehler 35P that I still have.

Bought another Shooting Chrony for airgun use indoors with the light kit.

Added a Caldwell to the fleet as I really liked the app and iPhone connectivity.

Bought a Labradar that does everything except my fast stuff over 3900 as mentioned before. This unit really comes into it's own with using a memory card and capturing the whole bullet track up to the point it loses it. I've been able to calculate accurate BC's based on this data. Mine works great with 17HH and my 204 with 39 gr bullets, 32's are too quick. It also works great with .177 cal pellets.

I recently bought a 'Two Box' chrono from the Canadian that makes the Autotrickler, I hope to test it this weekend. It uses acoustic sensors and has no upper velocity limit, but a lower of about 1250. It has a VERY large 'window' that you can shoot through and setup is very simple. It logs shots, but doesn't do any min/max/avg/ES/SD stuff though.

On an unrelated note, the guy that makes the Autotrickler and Two Box chrono has created a reasonably priced acoustic target system that I'm dying to get my hands on. Will make long range shooting very productive with getting instant feedback on impacts. It is advertised as working with a 6' high by 8' wide frame and a range of around a mile.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:29 PM

It is easy enough to do the statistics on an Excel spreadsheet, if your Two Box doesn't do it. I used to do that with the original Shooting Chrony (the one with the small cardboard windows) before a got a Gamma Master.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:47 PM

Default Magneto speed Sporter Chronograph

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyswatter View Post
I've used my Sporter on barrels over 1" diameter with no problems. Also, for me it is not a problem setting up for different barrels. I mean, they send 2 different spacers, how long does it take to figure out which spacer you need? It catches every shot...If you make the unit is on tight before each shot. Honestly, the unit coming loose, (not all the time) is the only thing I can find wrong with the Sporter.

This link is a good video on the Sporter https://youtu.be/5yeseE5RACE
Same with me, as for any complaints on this unit. Is that the strap does work loose, but only take a second or two to retighten it.
And keeping the unit aligned correctly so it does record the bullet path/fps.
Small issue, overall, at least in my opinion. I get the info I want for a decent price in a small easy to set up and carry unit/system. Bill K
Old 03-22-2018, 07:57 PM

I've had a lot of trouble keeping my Sporter working - to the point that I have all but give up on it. The strap stays "tight" for one shot, maybe two and that's with my 20 cal, tons of no reads, can't seem to get it set up right and working. Those pads all seem to make the .... can't think of the name of the part .... wand too far from the bore, specially on my heavy barrel but it's not quite an inch at the muzzle so it should work. Really don't know where I'm going wrong but it's frustrating.