Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2018, 03:26 PM

Default remington 581 questions

hi

i've been a long time reader of this forum, with a great passion for small caliber rifles, ive had a 17hmr, 22lr, 222, 6mm br, sold the 17hmr resently because ammo prices in Norway started to get silly high 33$ for 50rounds,

so after reading all the remington 580/590 post i descided to buy a mint rem 581 and do a conversion to centerfire. i have a machinist friend who are building the front end of the bolt as we speak and are going to champer a 32acp barrel( integrally suppressed)

and the question to the pros are:

i want a 22mink ish cartridge also for grouse and fox hunting, but it looks like getting dies and a reamer for that is almost impossible.

so i wondered, is it possible to use a 22 k-hornet reamer and ream that 1/2" short and cut the dies accordingly ?

or am I going to run into problems when im going to sixe down the brass ?

best regards from Cold Norway
Old 04-11-2018, 03:49 PM

Default Remington 581 questions

I know you say you want a 22minkish, with then having to get sizing dies, etc. and more expense, why not just stick with the 22 K hornet ? You can always down load it some, but would bet you just go with the normal K hornet loads. Bill K
Old 04-11-2018, 03:49 PM
Supporting Member

John Whidden does 20 cal and up dies very reasonable and good turn around time. He did my 20 Boomer and it's an 1.025 case. And it will be custom made to the cases you send in.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:08 PM
Supporting Member

What I’ve learned for me personally, if I want to play I have to pay.

I’ve done similar you are thinking about in 17 caliber. I think after the dies was shortened, he had to polish them out just a little bit and it didn’t have muchbtaper to begin with.

Another option is either looking at a 22 TCM and or a 22 Jet. I think they are both reasonable priced if you shop around.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:31 PM

the problem i think with the k-hornet is the oal in the 581, the ejection port is just a tad over 1,5" and can the 581 handle 22k-hornet pressures safe ?

probably send whidden a mail and ask if the can make dies after a reamer print from PTG.

the problem with 22 tcm and jet is the rim diameter, the 22 hornet is aprox the size of the 32acp then i can have only one bolt. and the cartridge selection here in Norway aren't great. the stores only sell about 222,223,308 and cartridges like that. so everything have to be handloaded anyways
Old 04-11-2018, 08:21 PM

I have seen 580's converted to 221 Fireball so I am sure the K-Hornet would work

Jim
Old 04-11-2018, 08:35 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteormann View Post
the problem i think with the k-hornet is the oal in the 581, the ejection port is just a tad over 1,5" and can the 581 handle 22k-hornet pressures safe ?

probably send whidden a mail and ask if the can make dies after a reamer print from PTG.

the problem with 22 tcm and jet is the rim diameter, the 22 hornet is aprox the size of the 32acp then i can have only one bolt. and the cartridge selection here in Norway aren't great. the stores only sell about 222,223,308 and cartridges like that. so everything have to be handloaded anyways
Good point and I was referring to just getting an entirely different gun closer to the mink size.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:42 PM

I have thought of another rifle but i have already startes the 32acp conversion. And geting more than 6 hunting firearms is pita in Norway. My last firearms application tok 2 months.... but at least suppressors you can buy og the counter

Still waiting for a reply from redding. They said that they had both 22mink and squirrel dies. But need to know how to buy directly from them
Old 04-14-2018, 02:04 AM

I have a 580 action sitting on my bench waiting for a CF conversion. Any idea if your friendly machinist would be willing to make another unit while he is tooled up to do so?

John
Old 04-14-2018, 12:35 PM

I think the logistics og maling the part in Norway and ship to the States would be very expensive

Been playing on my loading room today and found mye old 22tcm dies. And maybe that is the solution?

My only concern is how is the bolt thrust of a 22tcm vs the 22 mink ?
Think probably the mink way is the best, but open for sugestions.

What have you converted your 580/590 serier to ?