Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-20-2018, 04:10 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
No, I never took the time to measure, as they worked from the get go and therefore no need too do so.
I know many die makers sell both large and small pins, so this would mean that you need the one for the size flash hole you are dealing with.
Or if, for some reason, your flash holes are different then you will or would have to modify a pin to fit.
That is about all I can offer you, in solving your issue. Bill K
So I ask you what was the purpose of saying you don't have any problem -- is that supposed to make my problem go away -- I was asking for help? We are talking about 4.6X30 brass not the 5.7X28 brass right.

Last edited by 22_boomer; 04-20-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22_boomer View Post
So I ask you what was the purpose of saying you don't have any problem -- is that supposed to make my problem go away -- I was asking for help? We are talking about 4.6X30 brass not the 5.7X28 brass right.

I notice you did not share the diameter of your de-capping pin in your opening post.

I think Bill was simply making an observation, not offering a solution. May not have been the exact answer you were looking for but, still information to be taken into account.

Once you DO get the primers out, a flash hole de-burring tool might be a worthwhile consideration.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:58 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramos View Post
I notice you did not share the diameter of your de-capping pin in your opening post.

I think Bill was simply making an observation, not offering a solution. May not have been the exact answer you were looking for but, still information to be taken into account.

Once you DO get the primers out, a flash hole de-burring tool might be a worthwhile consideration.
I did mention that the flash hole was of the small European varity but that's all water under the bridge. LEE contacted me and sent me to their URL on the Problem.

_________________________ From LEE ________________________________
Lapua Brass Undersized Flash Hole- Decapper Pin Does Not Fit
Posted by Steph @ Lee Precision on 06 March 2018 08:32 AM
We do not produce a smaller diameter pin for decapping undersized flash holes.
The decapping pin on the expander rod of the die is .062" in diameter, which is the standard flash hole diameter of most ammunition cases made both in the United States and foreign countries.The undersized flash hole should be enlarged with one of the commercial flash hole uniformers. Or use a 1/16 (1.6mm) drill. Uniform flash holes are helpful to uniform ignition.

If you choose to retain the undersized flash hole in your cases, you can put your decapping/expander rod in a drill and polish down the diameter of the pin using a fine grit emery paper. This will weaken the pin and you may find that it will break when you decap fired cases.

The small hole in the Lapua brass is what I ran into. I tried to take a picture of it next to a cartridge with a standard American size flash hole but my pictures were fuzzy and crummy
Old 04-23-2018, 01:04 PM
Supporting Member

I got a reply from RCBS and they are going to send me 2 of the smallest pins they make. I took one of the spare pins from my custom die set and it works OK but maybe the new RCBS pins will be as good or better and I can put the spare Hornady pin back were it belongs.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22_boomer View Post
I got a reply from RCBS and they are going to send me 2 of the smallest pins they make. I took one of the spare pins from my custom die set and it works OK but maybe the new RCBS pins will be as good or better and I can put the spare Hornady pin back were it belongs.
Congratulations on being much more persuasive than me! Being a dyed-in-the-wool RCBS man, I called them first about getting a smaller pin for my 6 PPC comp dies. They were polite & admitted immediately that they understood the problem, but sorry they couldn't help. I called Lee about getting a reduced diameter stem for their Universal de-capper & they were much more abrupt with a "Too Bad, just file it down". Researching the issue, I read Lee had provided proper stem-pins for other customers in the past.

BTW: P&P's design of the PPC specified the smaller European flash-hole. They obviously thought it was a good idea so drilling out the brass would be very presumptuous me.

Good luck, good shooting & glad you have found a solution!