Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-28-2011, 09:13 AM

Default Weekend hunting with Hunter

Hi all, have not posted for awhile, but then I have not been doing much shooting this year so that is the reason. The youngest daughter returned from Canada recently and the first thing she asked was when are we going hunting. So last weekend we packed the 4x4 with all our camping gear plus Hunter the Springer Spaniel.

Well for spring it was the quietest time I have ever seen for rabbits on this property. Normally we would shoot anywhere from 50 to 200 hundred in a weekend. This time we could only manage about 20. We have had the wettest winter, which has really given the rabbits a hard time.

Hunter had a great time as we did too. Here he is retrieving his first real rabbit:

it may be a small one but then he is only nine months old so it is all relative I suppose.

We shot a few more rabbits so we got him to pose with them and I swear this dog was grinning when I called him to look at me for the photo. You can make up your own mind but I know he was a very happy pup when this was taken.

As I took my 223 along this trip a lot of the rabbits were not worth picking up as they get turned inside out. One was split in half but I neglected to take a photo.

Thanks for looking
Pete, Skye and Hunter
Old 11-28-2011, 12:07 PM

Man O Man........
A weekend camping with the daughter.
Nice weather.
Cooperative Bunnies.
And some nice dog work.

Don't get any better than that, does it?

Thanks for sharing.
Charlie
Old 11-28-2011, 04:28 PM
Supporting Member

Foxhunter223--Thanks for the interesting story and great photos. I heard on the "Farm Report" over the radio this morning that there are some areas of Austrailia that have received over 7 inches of rain in just a short period of time. Grain crops are suffering and, as you mentioned, the rabbit crop seems to be affected as well. Thanks again for the post.

NRA Life Member
Old 11-29-2011, 03:48 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Very nice Pete, good to hear from you again.
Great pics too.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 11-29-2011, 04:26 AM

Default Fox-223

Great thread, I came away with three thing's.

1) It's really cool you and the daughter got out (mine turned 17) two weeks ago, and I'm realizing how fast time flies..

2) One thing about this site is, I really enjoy the threads and posts, from guys in other countries, Australia, New Zealand, the UK..ect..

3) Hell yeah, that dog was grinnin' I can see that from here..
Old 11-29-2011, 08:18 AM

Default Hunter

RePete the weather was good, not too hot or humid and getting away for a weekend with he daughter was a treat and something I have missed for the last eight months. Glad she is back. She is 30 now and married so you had better enjoy having your daughter around before some bloke comes along and steals her away from you. It has been many years since I owned a dog of my own and it is great to have a hunting partner again.

Silver Fox we have had a lot of rain this year and just down south of us has experienced severe flooding with many farms and small villages cut off. Out west has seen a lot of rain with flooding and many roads cut. But this is Australia the land of drought and flooding rains.

Yes George I have been a bit quiet lately and I promise I will answer your email tonight.

Dave this is about the only site I post on now, have stopped posting on other sites because I just cannot stand the bad manners and fowl language. Here everyone is a true Sports Person and the men are Gentlemen and the women are Ladies.

Pete