Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-19-2014, 03:53 PM

THAT's different - the people the LEO's shoot are not normally eaten by Loons or is it Condors?
Old 07-19-2014, 04:50 PM

Default Oregon

Oregon has a ban on lead pellets for all waterfowl. Additionally, I just participated in a survey wanting feedback on a TOTAL lead ban for firearms. This study is being conducted by OSU on behalf of Oregon Fish & Wildlife. The questions were certainly 'tilted' in one direction. I included lots of comments, doubt that I will be asked to participate again!
Old 07-20-2014, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
THAT's different - the people the LEO's shoot are not normally eaten by Loons or is it Condors?
Thats not the point they could be is that an exceptable risk to endangered species?
Old 07-20-2014, 08:14 PM

Default Lead-free bullets

The fact that the U.S. Army has switched to a "non-lead" bullet for the 5.56 Nato is not a good sign. They justified it by claiming "better performance". I'll just stick with lead.

Bob
Old 07-21-2014, 04:04 AM

I talked to a F&G cop here in NorKal a few months ago. He said in his entire career he has never seen a crow, raven, magpie, turkey vulture or eagle become ill gorging on bullet-killed squirrels here in NorKal. Never. And we don't have Condors.

So why the state wide ban?
Old 07-21-2014, 05:11 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Way back in the lead shotgun shell days I was hell on ducks and went the majority of days during the months long seasons. Geese were quite few n far between then too. Nearly all were Canada's, almost never saw a snow or Ross's.
Since the lead shot ban I went ONCE and hung it up, haven't gone bird hunting since. Now the snows are so many they're begging hunters to kill as many as they can with 20per day and several months long seasons. Canada's are getting to be too many too in this flyway.

It's my belief w/o backup the lead shot did kill a great many birds by injestion of lead shot. I feel that's why there's so many geese around now. I've never seen any studies on it, so it's just my own feelings right or wrong and I've been wrong a few times.

I have a couple ton of scrap bullets in buckets in the shop to melt down into ingots someday if/when I get where I can get back in the game again.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 07-21-2014, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambob View Post
The fact that the U.S. Army has switched to a "non-lead" bullet for the 5.56 Nato is not a good sign. They justified it by claiming "better performance". I'll just stick with lead.

Bob
They are spending your tax dollars for that ammo they don't care what it costs. But lets think about it a moment who's the Command in Chief?
Old 07-21-2014, 05:49 AM
Supporting Member

I believe a lot of many feeding beds that haven't been cultivated are full of lead shot for decades to come, IMHO. One big contributor to the increase in geese and many birds can be attributed to many hunters hanging it up as the current restrictions created the demand for the 3 1/2" magnum to TRY and compensate for the lack of range and lack of killing power of the lighter non toxic shot. Most of my duck hunting friends have given up.

The result will be, and has been, less hunting license dollars for California means less enforcement dollars, yet they spend tons of bank on tracking a dam wolf from Oregon and everywhere else.

I suspect it will come to whether the financial cost and lack of availability of ammo for hunters, vs the 2019 deadline, will meet or explode. I think if it isn't available, the law can not stand it's merits in court, but who is going to fight it besides the NRA?

No kidding on enforcement, I see others shooting, illegally, out of their vehicles, but I do think there is something about permission from private property owners. I didn't shoot on one of my good ranchers land enough to ask what his "2 shoot from a vehicle permits" allows, or if he even got them this year, but in 12 days over 3 years I have never seen a warden in North-east California. And from the looks of the eagles, ravens, crows , sea-gulls and magpies, they sure aren't indicating lead poisioning , from ingestion.

Allen

Last edited by hemiallen; 07-21-2014 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:28 PM

Default Lead bullet ban ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I talked to a F&G cop here in NorKal a few months ago. He said in his entire career he has never seen a crow, raven, magpie, turkey vulture or eagle become ill gorging on bullet-killed squirrels here in NorKal. Never. And we don't have Condors.

So why the state wide ban?
The present F&G commission is more anti-hunt than ever ( Look what they did to one of their own, for legally hunting a cougar in Idaho). It is one more step/foothold by the anti's to stop hunting in Kalifornia. Condor range first, now spread it to the whole state, ban dogs on bear and cat hunting, the list will grow and grow. If you notice, tags, license on more and more and each year the price goes up, for what ? Pricing folks out of hunting and fishing, one more way to reduce and stop us. These people in Sac and on the commissions sit around all day, just planning and thinking of how to end our sport/s. Bill K
Old 07-21-2014, 01:34 PM

Default Lean ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiallen View Post
I believe a lot of many feeding beds that haven't been cultivated are full of lead shot for decades to come, IMHO. One big contributor to the increase in geese and many birds can be attributed to many hunters hanging it up as the current restrictions created the demand for the 3 1/2" magnum to TRY and compensate for the lack of range and lack of killing power of the lighter non toxic shot. Most of my duck hunting friends have given up.

The result will be, and has been, less hunting license dollars for California means less enforcement dollars, yet they spend tons of bank on tracking a dam wolf from Oregon and everywhere else.

I suspect it will come to whether the financial cost and lack of availability of ammo for hunters, vs the 2019 deadline, will meet or explode. I think if it isn't available, the law can not stand it's merits in court, but who is going to fight it besides the NRA?

No kidding on enforcement, I see others shooting, illegally, out of their vehicles, but I do think there is something about permission from private property owners. I didn't shoot on one of my good ranchers land enough to ask what his "2 shoot from a vehicle permits" allows, or if he even got them this year, but in 12 days over 3 years I have never seen a warden in North-east California. And from the looks of the eagles, ravens, crows , sea-gulls and magpies, they sure aren't indicating lead poisioning , from ingestion.

Allen
I must say, we in N.E. California do have two male wardens that are doing a good job and try to do the right thing, as the wardens, in the past did, in my area. Most of the new crop and upper level brass are new breeds and have the anti views. There was a lot of work and effort put into a crime/activity over a few months that just recently caught one party poaching bobcats and other game in this area, so at least two of the male wardens and working hard and as I said, doing the right thing, not like the others and the commission in Sac. Bill K