Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-03-2010, 11:15 PM

I have no knowledge of the .22 rush, but it sounds neat.

I use .32's to hunt squirrel. I'm getting ready to send a hopkins and allen falling block off to have it rechambered from .32 RF to .32 S&W long, and having the block converted to CF.

I like the idea of a cast bullet shooting, low velocity, high accuracy .22 round.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:57 AM

AB
Did you ever go ahead with building a 22 Rush? This might be my next project. I have been tossing around the idea of a 20cal version also. I have "one" loaded round from Jack Rush himself in my collection. I have looked at that little bugger many many times with the need to build a rifle. But as it goes money and time has come and gone. I think am ready to commit to a 22 or 20 Rush.

RussT
Old 12-16-2012, 02:11 PM
Supporting Member

No, went with the 22 Mink. The fact that the cases were too frail and there wasn't a longer parent to form them from pushed me away from it.

It wouldn't be a bad little round (Just my opinon) if there was a longer parent case to form from, to control the lenght and neck thickness.

Adam
Old 12-17-2012, 06:34 AM

Can you fill me in on the Mink? And what did you end up Chambering the round in?

Now you got me thinking again.

Just did a search looks like the Mink variants are off the Hornet case. Not intrested in that. I probably could have purchased a rifle already chambered from the Jack Rush Estate not long after his passing.
Here we go reinventing the wheel again. I always seem to get myself into such quandries.

Thank you sir
RussT

Last edited by Windchill; 12-17-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:12 PM

Default 22 Rush

Hi guys, first post here and resurrecting a post from the past.

In 1998 (IIRC) I built a 22 Rush after reading Jack Rush’s articles in Precision Shooting. I corresponded some with Jack, got his original chamber drawings, and had JGS make me some reamers. I built it on a Ruger #3 originally chambered in .22 Hornet. I made the dies from an old Anschutz free rifle barrel I had laying around the shop. It all worked great.

Stupidly I sold the rifle and dies to a friend who fell in love with it so I picked up another Ruger in .22 Hornet, this time a #1, and planned to do it all again. That was 14 years ago. I have finally gotten back around to this Ruger #1 project again and while I have all my old notes, cartridge drawings, and letters from Jack, I can’t put my hands on the Precision Shooting articles. I know he also wrote some articles on this round for Small Caliber News but again I can’t find them.

So to the point - is there is anyone around here who may have the Precision Shooting articles (was it Think Small?), the SCN articles that reference the round, or can point me to a reprint source? I’ll gladly swap a sample round for an article

Old 10-25-2013, 10:37 PM

Found my first letter to Jack with the dates of the PS articles -
September 1995 and December 1997.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:43 PM
Banned

Default 22 Rush

I read those articles they was goodins! Also fell in love with the looks of the 22 Rush got close to building one but money and time.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:45 AM
Supporting Member

Oh my Stan, PM incoming.

Adam
Old 10-26-2013, 10:11 AM

I have the September '95 article. That's the one I was looking for.

Thanks to everyone who searched their PS stash
Old 11-02-2013, 04:23 AM

I had some time this week so I chambered a #4 taper Shilen barrel for the 22 Rush I'm building on a Ruger #1. I got all the extractor cuts done tonight and the rifle is assembled. The ejector worked with very little coaxing with a file. I'll try to get out to the range this weekend and do some function tests with the last couple of loaded I rounds I had left over from long ago.

Next steps are to fab a scope mount, a cartridge case length gauge, and a set of reloading dies.

I should try to post the video I took of the dial indicator running dead nuts runout on the barrel setup. It was absolutely perfect. This was my first time playing with a Grizzly rod. It works really nicely.