Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-18-2020, 03:55 PM
Supporting Member

Default Custom Actions for Hornet

Who makes custom actions for the Hornet? Also, what other front locking lug bolt actions work well with the Hornet? I'm aware of CZ and Cooper, maybe Browning - any others? Thanks for any help.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:30 PM

If you can find them, the old Reminton and Winchester rifles. Watch gun shops for decent/good used one's. Bill K
Old 03-18-2020, 04:46 PM
Supporting Member

Zastava makes a very good mini action. There is nothing wrong with Anshcutz, Krico etc for a 22 Hornet, it is a pretty low pressure round. There are a whole wack of European options if you have access to them. Ruger makes one too but the bolt construction is problematic and they can be very difficult to get to shoot good. Savage Hornet actions can be cleaned up to look good, they already shoot good.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:54 PM

Smile

SmokinJoe, since you asked, ya might consider a BAT SV. Their .223 bf will pull a Hornet case, although in my opinion not real well. I have one with a actual Hornet bf. "Slick" is an understatement...LOL! You could check with BAT to see if they might build you one with just a Hornet bf. Expensive and probably a looong wait...but worth it in my opinion. Good luck on your decision. 410gauge
Old 03-18-2020, 06:38 PM

There are also the Ruger No. 1 and No.3 rifles, if that is of interest.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:34 PM
Supporting Member

Just FYI, I have a Nesika "T" in Hornet boltface and I am wanting a second one. Defiance doesn't do that small of a boltface so they said. Glad to know that BAT will do one, that might be a good option, though they are expensive and backed up. Might just get another Nesika. My latest thought is to find a single shot Remington short action and get PT&G to make the bolt. My understanding is that they make a good replacement bolt for the Rem 700. Appreciate the advice about Ruger #1, etc. but want a good bolt gun. Actually I have a Ruger #1 in 218 Bee that is supposedly unfired, but that isn't part of this conversation. I'm actually going to use the action to build a second 22 Spitfire because I am so happy with the first one. Wondering if the Howa Mini would work for this. Wish they made a Hornet, I would be all over it.

Last edited by SmokinJoe; 03-19-2020 at 01:00 AM.
Old 03-18-2020, 11:08 PM

SmokinJoe, if you decide to do a SA 700, I'd suggest getting PTG to do a cone nose bolt. In my opinion it would be worth it.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:24 AM

Pierce does or did do coned bolts, not sure on the Hornet bolt face though.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:27 PM

Not sure but I believe the Shilen action (Remington Clone) uses the Savage Head and PT&G did at one time make a Hornet head

Good Luck

Jim
Old 03-19-2020, 02:43 PM
Supporting Member

I made a number of suggestions and sop have others but from what you are saying you don't seem to be looking for anything really unusual. That being the case I would just stick with a CZ, Browning or Cooper and call it good. All the ones I have had will do .25 quite easily with just a trigger tune and bedding job.