Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-25-2021, 12:53 PM

Default Custom Die makers

CH4D offers to make custom dies, but my experience is they don't really. Rather they send you some thing that is a close match---it wasn't.

RCBS use to make custom dies, they were expensive and and don't seem to offer the service anymore.

Hornady says they will make dies for for you, but I can never get anyone on the phone to talk to. They want three fired cases. I can do that, but that doesn't capture the correct neck dimension. I am prepared to send a proper chamber casting to capture the neck dimensions as well as throat and lead.

Redding also offers the service. I haven't talked to Redding yet, There service seems about the same as Hornady.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with Hornady or Redding Custom Die service?

That is the big guys. How about niche or cottage shops. any small shops doing this work?

I have talked to JGS, and with fired cases and a chamber cast they will make me a sizing reamer. So if some small shop could build me dies, I'll come up with a reamer.

Ideas Gents?

Last edited by Double D; 09-25-2021 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:15 PM
Supporting Member

I used Hornady for about a doz dies when Lonnie was running it but when Ben took over it went to hell, IMO. I recently got another CH4D and the quality was better than the past but I think you're right in that they sell one that's close. Redding is out of my pay grade. For RCBS you should call Huntington's but as of last month when I called , I think they're done with custom. I do have a good many from John Whidden and have been very satisfied. The turn around is not short since the world found out about them plus like everyone the price has gone up. Check out Whidden dies.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:16 PM

Make the reamer and send it to CH4D or deal with Redding both produce better quality finished dies than Hornady, I think Winden and some others offer making dies but I have no experience with them

What cartridge are you playing with ?
Old 09-25-2021, 03:35 PM

I'd get the reamer going and sent the print to Whiddens while it says its better to do it with fired case it probably is but if your in a hurry that will speed things up, ive did it that way and its work great just off the print.
That being said ive only had it done with JGS reamers and prints never had a reamer from them that wasn't what I asked for or what the print said.
Another option is just get a FL die made and then a seater made from your chamber reamer all my cartridges ive done that way last 6 of them with wilson inline blanks and 21 century press.
You can also go the Newlon blank route also
Old 09-25-2021, 05:39 PM
Supporting Member

I'm afraid that my experience with CH4D has been about the same. I would recommend Whidden's but you don't say what cartridge you need dies for; that might influence recommendations.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:29 PM
Supporting Member

I had forgot to post that Whidden only makes 20 cal and larger.
Old 09-26-2021, 03:55 PM

Maybe an option is to buy a die body blank from Newlong as Sherm mentioned and have your gunsmith ream it? I own one in 20VT ...very nice quality. I've also had good luck with Harrels.
Old 09-26-2021, 05:29 PM

I didn't say what caliber on purpose, didn't want the Mod's to kick me off the board for being way off topic. Last time I mentioned a big caliber here, some one jump on me real hateful like.

I have a rifle that was made by FNB, Frank N. Barnes back in the early 50's.There is a real interesting story by its self. I currently use my DeHaas/Epps universal reloading/form dies to make brass.

READER OT ALERT: Currently I use .300 Win Mag Brass trimmed 3.55 when it lets me. I actually think the neck is longer. A chamber cast will tell. The rifle predates the 300 Win Mag so originally brass was probably made from H&H brass. The barrel is marked .404 EXP FNB but bore slugs .416. The cartridge is slightly longer and slightly greater diameter at the shoulder the 416 Chatfield-Taylor. All the belted cartridges of 2.5 length work but neck is shortened. The rifle its self is a very nicely sporterized 98 Mauser. The best shots 5 shot group my 30 year old notes say 1 inch-minus average 1-1/2 with 300 Barnes X bullet.

With out proper dies, this rifle dies a slow death.

Before I spend money on the reamer I want to have a die make on tap.

I am a gunsmith and can do my own reaming, I am not set up for heatvtreating.
Old 09-26-2021, 05:43 PM

DoubleD. Give John Whidden a call and see what he would do for you. Bet he will/can help you out.
Old 09-26-2021, 10:42 PM

Just sent off an email to Whidden.

Thanks for the referral.