Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2015, 11:15 PM

Default Need scope mounting help!

I have a Remington 788, one piece Redfield or Leupold base. Standard Leupold rings lined up nice vertically, used ring alignment bars. I found I needed extended rings to bring them closer together as the scope I bought(VX-2 4-12x40 AO) has a very short tube. I tried two different sets of Leopold extension rings and the front extended twist in ring is higher than rear ring on both sets. Looks too high to lap out, what do I do?
Old 05-06-2015, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mully View Post
I have a Remington 788, one piece Redfield or Leupold base. Standard Leupold rings lined up nice vertically, used ring alignment bars. I found I needed extended rings to bring them closer together as the scope I bought(VX-2 4-12x40 AO) has a very short tube. I tried two different sets of Leopold extension rings and the front extended twist in ring is higher than rear ring on both sets. Looks too high to lap out, what do I do?
This is one of the reasons I got rid of my 788. It was difficult to get the scope far enough back for me. Ken Farrell and EGW make one piece bases with multiple cross slots which would help you.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:49 PM

Default 788

I just used weaver bases and burris rings and had no problems. I have one 788 that has a sako extractor and it gave me fits due to the brass ejecting out and hitting the windage knob. The brass would hit the knob and fall right back on top of the magazine in a nano second. I swapped scopes to fix that issue and its a fairly common one even with a factory setup so I've read. Good luck with yours.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:53 PM

Go with two piece bases, if available. You can shim the lower ring with shims (between the receiver and scope base)so that the lower ring is raised to the level of the higher one. You could buy your self some varied thicknesses of shim stock and make your own, or you can buy some pre-made shims from Brownells. They have various types and thicknesses to match most (all?) base sizes and screw spacings.

Danny

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:58 AM

I can't figure out why the standard rings lined up, but not the extended? Seems like a ring problem, that's why I tried two sets of extended rings. I didn't realize someone still made bases.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mully View Post
I can't figure out why the standard rings lined up, but not the extended? Seems like a ring problem, that's why I tried two sets of extended rings. I didn't realize someone still made bases.
I had to shim up the rear base on my Browning Micro Hunter when using Leupold Rings and bases. I never tried a second set. There is no telling where a dimension mistake could come about in the process.

Danny

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:15 AM

I have called the nice people at Talley when I troubles finding the correct rings for a older Kimber rifle. They are very willing to help.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:01 PM

Just get a one-piece Weaver style base, they're not expensive, then mount the scope wherever it needs to be. And use Burris Signature Zee rings. Signature rings are the answer to scope mounting problems and especially if using two-piece bases.

Last edited by Ackman; 05-07-2015 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:42 PM

Mounting scope 90 degrees counterclockwise always worked great on the 788's.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:44 PM

Have you tried Burris rings?

http://www.burrisoptics.com/mounting...ignature-rings

They have built in offset rings that might help you!